[PIX] Oahu, Corsair Plane Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jellognome

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgnome/sets/72157594267243038/

Went diving on the 3rd of September and shot some cool pics of the Corsair. I learned a lot of important lessons. First of all, at 108 feet, that pressure causes the water moisture inside the underwater housing to condense on the lens and the LCD. I was told a silica gel packet would stop this, but I couldn't fit an entire packet inside the housing. I cut it in half and taped it together with water resistant surgical tape, and stuck it inside with the camera. It worked pretty well for about the first 7 minutes of the 15 minute dive, but then the lens fogged up again. Second of all, people are always telling me to use the red lens and I used to use it snorkeling and it would ruin the pictures (there is plenty of red light at the surface). But at 108 feet, the red lens didn't even look red anymore, it looked purple. As you can see, the red lens makes a dramatic difference at 108 feet and I've been told to start using it as shallow as 35 feet.

Without the red lens:
233183426_621b0ec194.jpg

With the red lens:
233183387_620a9f3a22.jpg

Also when we began this dive my power inflator was leaking air so I unhooked it and just orally inflated the whole time. I took the opportunity to really get a feel for buoyancy. If you stand still the fish come right up to you, and if you want to take nice macro shots this is really important. I was holding my breath and exhaling slowly to descend a few inches to the perfect angle, then holding my breath again. The macro shots from the second dive really would have been amazing if the lens hadn't fogged up.

233183513_2aedb06c10.jpg

233183875_178e137534.jpg

233183982_32c043c0e8.jpg

overall i'm pretty disappointed with the pics, and it was my second time at the corsair (my first time, NONE of the pics came out because i didn't have the silica gel and they were all blurry). but i think for 108 feet deep, with a $300 camera and $200 underwater housing, the pics are decent. Here is a video of the dive for your entertainment.

http://www.youtube.com/v/K9JwcBnu9Ic

Excellent pics! How was the current that day? It was pretty brutal when I went to the Corsair a few weeks ago.

Love the Corsair - hate the bottom time :( guess you can't have it all..

Your pictures are looking OK and you know, you can do a lot with Photoshop to bring out more of your pictures - if you allow, I'll give one a shot so you can see what is possible.

Now for the silica packets. If there were packets included with your camera then they have to fit in there with it - whole. Try different places in your housing. I can put the thin packets that came with the housing under the camera and the bigger ones that I purchased later fit in front of the camera...give it a try.

Matteo....you're dropping a lot of hints....:D

I like the pics. My favorite thing about the post was the examples off all the different methods you tried. I guess that's how expertise is developed, and you're post made it so I won't have as much trial and error later.

way to go with the pics! Task loading is so fun at 117 ft, ain't it?

Corsair looks cool in Black and White too if you feel like playing around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom