Piston vs. Balanced Diaphragm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rescuediver009:
Please tell me that you did a search on this.....
I am not a veteran but I have seen 3 separate threads posting the exact same question.

No one is bette than the other though. You have to also realize that there are separate types of each:
Pistons: unbalanced, balanced sealed, balance flow through, and flow through.
Diaphragm: Balanced, Overbalanced, unbalanced upstream.

Each performs differently and one better in separate conditions. And truth be told with a blindfold on sometimes you cannot even tell the difference. I think that pistons are (not better) more common to recreational divers as they usually have a lower cracking pressure and this is more pleasant to learn to breath on. Diaphragm regs are more popular in technical diving than they are in rec diving. They can hold up to a litle more, have alot less o-rings and moving parts.

AS ALWAYS THOUGH THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS TO EVERY RULE.

Well considering youve been here a year and only seen it 3 times i think im justified in asking it again.

JD.Gattis:
Well considering youve been here a year and only seen it 3 times i think im justified in asking it again.
There is nothing wrong with that. Should I assume that you have read them? If so did they proove inconclusive to your concerns? Are you debating on a particular comparison?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom