Pioneer 18#

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are saying that without buoyancy of my wetsuit the wing will not hold the rig. Is there a rule for that?
I never thought about it.

See, if the BC is weight integrated, it makes sense. But what if I'm wearing a belt? Tank will float just fine on 18# wing... me with the belt on and no BC... that's a question...

I guess, you saying the wing should be able to float all of my gear including weights.

What's the procedure for taking BC off on surface? During OWD training we were taught how to take off and replace BC on the bottom, and how to take off and replace belt on surface, but not BC on surface.
Would you have to take belt off, hook it to BC and then take the BC off?

Thanks.

Lemonade once bubbled...
I do see your point. Thanks.
You could use a 28# wing and a HP100 steel if you were using a 1# Aluminum BP and no canister light... I'm sure there are folks who do.

But what I have found from experience is that the wings do not necessarily have their rated lift capacity even in saltwater... much less fresh.

For instance... my 27# wing will not float my rig when I have it configued thus:

SS bp, pro4 light, LP104, regulator, tank valve(not always figured into the tank charts!), paring knife, P-weight(6#) and 1100psi of EAN32.

I had to eliminate the p-weight... and that was in saltwater!

I still remember the first time I took my rig off in the lake back when I had a 45# pioneer wing,SS BP,no canister light, a full HP100 and ACBs with 10# in each side.... HAH! down it went

Oh, there was no sarcasm in my tone.

I was trying to understand your math, and I think I do now.

I do realize that buoyancy swing is not all that matters, your rig also should be able to stay afloat. Before I have never thought about it. And that’s the point I see now.

I own an OMS rig with the bungied wings. I noticed that they do a good job about preventing air shifting, although my wings are a little different than the ones I see on their website. My bungies don't go all the way down which leaves a softball sized portion at the bottom of each wing unattached. Long story short, all the air gathers in these portions of the wings and acts like two balloons. It's kinda annoying, especially when I see pictures of it (I've attached one here. Notice how the wing slopes up around my tank. What a dumb design.)

My question to NetDoc is do your wings do this as well, or do I own an older outdated model?

I am most likely going to buy a both wings, a new OMS bungied and a Halcyon 27. This way I can end the debate through my own trials.

My experience with Halcyon thus far is that I was BOW trained on a Halcyon pioneer rig. My instructor also let me try OMS and Zeagle rigs. He let me dive his OMS rig after I was cert'd which is eventually what I decided on, but with bungied wings. That was over 100 dives ago, so I'd like to experiement with the Halcyon rig again. But my instructor isn't here anymore.

Uncle Pug wrote...

SS bp, pro4 light, LP104, regulator, tank valve(not always figured into the tank charts!), paring knife, P-weight(6#) and 1100psi of EAN32.
P-weight? How is that different from a V-weight?

MuddyFox once bubbled...

I am most likely going to buy a both wings, a new OMS bungied and a Halcyon 27. This way I can end the debate through my own trials......

.......I was BOW trained on a Halcyon pioneer rig. .

some people make me sick........:eek:ut:

metridium once bubbled...

P-weight? How is that different from a V-weight?
A V-weight fits between the tanks and the wing&plate.
A P-weight fits in the channel on the inside of the plate.

I usually call it a channel weight but most folks know it by the name P-weight.

It is used for singles where a V-weight would not work.

The one I made is held in place by the cam band straps... I'm not sure how others secure theirs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom