Pinnacle Kodiak - Has anyone used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zags123

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am considering buying a wetsuit. I am just wonding if anyone has used the Pinnacle Kokiak semi - dri suit. It looks like a pretty nice suit. But I would like to hear from someone who has actually used it and what the pro's and con's are. I dive in the Puget Sound. Water temps range 50-55 degrees. Right now I am diving a 10 yr old Mares two piece 7mm wetsuit. It's pretty warm but I get cold on the second dive. It's also old, so it is having its share of repairs. Any suggestions?

Zags

I haven't used one but I was intrigued when I read a add for the suit. A few observations for your consideration......

As wetsuits go it's pricey, within spitting distance of a neoprene drysuit.

It sounds like a nice zipper but being a wetsuit you don't want to get sucked into needing maintain and care for a high maintenance zipper. I'm not saying this is, it's just familiar and worth study.

Being Elastsiprene it would seem to give up some bubble integrity and the warmth that goes with it.

Other that those curiosities it looks like they set out to throw the kitchen sink at the classic full suit and make it all that it could be.

Odds are at some level you will want a second layer on your torso. With the drylock collar I'm curious how bulky that gets around the neck. Again something to try to learn about and preferably try the items personally.

If your diving ends at 50F then you can consider going the premium wetsuit route with a suit like this if you like the simplicity of diving wet. Pinnacle makes darned good stuff by all accounts that I have heard and read.

Pete

First, I don't dive the Kodiak, my wife does. She bought it last month from Scuba.com and we dove it in Catalina, CA in 60-64 deg. F water.

Now the fun stuff. . .

This suit is a BEAST! I swear it can stand-up by itself it's so thick. I didn't even know they made wetsuits that thick and I've been using wetsuits for 30 years. Getting into it can be a challenge. We provided comedy to the crew of the King Neptune that I doubt they'll soon forget. If you get one, consider a skin suit to go with it to make life easier.

Pro's-
Warmth- My wife has about standard tolerance and she was warm, bordering on hot, even after the 3rd dive.
Construction- This thing is well put together using quality materials. Including shoulder pads to protect against BC shoulder rub.
No advanced training needed- It's a wetsuit, put it on.
Semi-dry- She actually got out of it pretty dry. Even after a 70 minute dive.

Con's-
Bulky-
Like I said. . . Beast! It was a little difficult for my wife to move around. Not bad, but something to keep in mind. If you've ever seen the movie "Christmas Story," think about the little kid bundled-up in his red snow outfit and you get the picture. And packing it is not fun.
Buoyancy- This thing is harder to sink than an old Boston Whaler. Either bring a lot of weight, or if you're diving off of a bigger boat just ask to borrow the anchor.
Semi-dry- Unless there's just no way to avoid it, don't even consider peeing in it. That's just gross!
Drying time- This thing takes forever to air dry.

All in all she loves it. She made no mention of the neck. But she's not around at the moment, I'll ask her when she gets back. The zipper doesn't seem like it'll be a problem (famous last words) as long as it's waxed from time-to-time. She doesn't want to dive dry and this is a good option if that's the case. Pinnacle did a great job.

Thanks for both of the replies. I hadn't considered the neck issue. I would think if I went with a 3 or 5 mm vest/hood combo that I would at least need to go one size larger than the suit...does that seem correct? But that's just a guess. I hadn't thought about the weight needed either to sink it. I use 36 lbs now with my aluminum tank. Hopefully doesn't need much more than that. Thanks for the replies, it's given me something to think about. You made me laugh with the Christmas Story reference. I can picture it. Anyway, I'm looking for a warm and durable wetsuit that is worth the extra few bucks over the traditional 7mm Edge farmer john suits I see in the LDS. I don't mind spending the extra money, just want to make sure it's worth it. Thanks for the replies.

My wife uses a 7mm Pinnacle Titanium drysuit hood that fits underneath the Kodiak neck. If you use a tech-style bungied safe-second it might get in the way, but the neck seems like it's got a pretty good amount of stretch to it and didn't seem to bunch-up to bad.

My experience with Pinnacle is that they are definitely top-notch and that's why she didn't hesitate to order it sight unseen. However, spending nearly $500. on a wetsuit is a pretty big choice, so I'd try and find a way to at least see it in person if you haven't already.

Based on the advances in wetsuit material, there's just no comparison between your 10 yr. old Mares 7mm and the Kodiak. Even with 14mm in the torso area compared to the 8mm of the Kodiak, the Kodiak would still keep you much warmer. And it is a semi-dry. I personally use a newer O'neill 5/4 (which is actually my winter surfing wetsuit) in 60F. water and I don't start to feel chilled untill after the 3rd dive. Wetsuits have definitely gotten better over the years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom