Pink Octo - Yay or Nay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As long as the pink color coordinates properly with your fins and wetsuit, you should be able to swing it.

Otherwise the scuba fashion police may get on your case. You should be fine with the fish. They do not seem to express any color preferences.

I would not sweat it from a safety perspective. The one not in your mouth is your octo, regardless of color. And your buddy is going to grab the closest one, regardless of color.

Hi Divers!

I just purchased my first octo - Atomic Aquatics Z2 - and would like to put a pink color kit on it as well as change out the house with a fluorescent pink miflex hose. The bf and I are having a back and forth on the color choice - he says that for safety sake I should leave the yellow face plate on as it is the 'common' color for a safety.
Thoughts?

The best answer is to get a 7 foot pink hose and a pink face plate, make that your primary regulator, put the other regulator around your neck on a bungee. THEN, you can see if your BF has a problem breathing from it when he goes OOG and you give him your primary...!

It does not pose any safety issues whatsoever. Your boyfriend is likely to be your primary buddy, so he will know which is the safe second stage/octopus. Also, if you dive with another person, your pre-dive procedures REQUIRES that you go over equipment configuration and emergency dive procedures (OOA situation).

Go ahead, get the pink hose and the pink face plate for your Z2 (your bf will be happy that you got such a high performance 2nd stage). When I began diving (oh so long ago), color coordination was the in thing. Now, "tech black" is the dominant fashion trend. It's nice to see a little color in equipment. Brightens everything up.

Safe & Happy Diving

I've never been a fan of pink but if you like the color, go ahead and do it. It's your reg so thank your boyfriend for his input and tell him that you will be doing your reg in pink but the position of your octo will be the same as his and everyone else's.

I have dived with several divers who went for one specific color of kit it was usually pink or purple. When it comes right down to the nitty-gritty it is your skills that should be of concern, not the color of your kit. If pink matches your personality than go for it. It helps identify you UW and your gear on the boat.

Diving is suppose to be fun...have a fun pink day.

As Henry Ford said you can choose any color you want as long as it is black, otherwise yer gonna die. Good thing this is the reg forum and not the basic forum cause I would probably get banned. Which might not be a bad thing :D.

Loony comments aside what is most important is not color but configuration. Understanding how one configures their gear and how their partner should plan to access it if necessary. I like to utilize color/graphics to indicate function. For instance, my O2 deco regs have a Z2X purge cover. "X" for extra rich. However, my regular regs M1 "1" for primary while my back up is a Z2 "2" for secondary. They are all different colors.

Get the Atomic purple plastic kit AND purple LP Miflex hoses!!!

RegulatorsforDanika_zps9c66b97f.jpg

Get the Atomic purple plastic kit AND purple LP Miflex hoses!!!

RegulatorsforDanika_zps9c66b97f.jpg

AHHHH I LOVE IT! I definitely want to get the miflex hoses but I can't seem to find anywhere that i can purchase the hoses AND the color kit. Suggestions?
Thanks!

Pink is fine. Just don't wear split-fins or you will die...unless they're pink.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom