Pimp sofnolime canister, easier filling, how to do this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For dust removal I just pour half of a jug into an empty jug but with a box fan right next to me. It removes a ridiculous amount of dust

For dust removal I just pour half of a jug into an empty jug but with a box fan right next to me. It removes a ridiculous amount of dust

#facts It will look like a snow storm came up on the downwind side of the jug.

So a couple years ago I ended up buying extra sorb in the small containers when I was in Scapa Flow. So I mailed them home to the states. Cost about 2x what they were worth, but what the heck. Turns out I use them to fill my canister, as someone said above I get 2 fills per jug. I fill them out side with the tropical tradewinds blowing through :rofl3: so I don't get much dust.

I also have the sorb funnel that started the thread and really like it. Since I only put it on to fill the smaller jugs and then I take it off. Once I get a permanent place I can mount the 40LB kegs upside down I'll leave it there all the time. Here is the tropics I don't think I have to worry about it drying out.

I've found a Quest Protein container contains exactly the right amount for my scrubber for transferring for fills or taking sorb on travel.

I don’t have a photo handy but, as others have mentioned, I pour sorb into a more manageable sized container. I repurposed some water containers that have screw top lids.

I tried some valves and was not happy. So took a clip and flexibel hoose. Works fine. But some of the sofnolime gets stuck inside the hose, right where the clip is pressing. No problem so far, the sofnolime does not run out anymore but this is not 100% airtight so I added the airtight black plug. Now I am happy. Filling is much easier this way. The scrubber in one hand, the clip in the other hand, great.

Attachments

• IMG_6906.jpg
    IMG_6906.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_6907.jpg
    IMG_6907.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 120
A friend gave me a 2.5 gallon plastic beverage container with a screw top lip that he got off Amazon. Bought two and passed the second along. Forget how much it was. Just have to get a funnel!

My Sorb Pour has threads on the spout end, too, so the cap that came off the keg itself can be screwed onto the Sorb Pour, while the Sorb Pour is left screwed onto the Keg, thus sealing it up pretty well.

That said, I don't usually leave the Sorb Pour attached for long periods. I put it on, then set the keg of sorb up on something (like, the tailgate of my truck), dispense what I need, then put it all away again.

Other than holding my scrubber a foot or more below the spout, and doing my pouring outdoors, I don't take any special precautions to eliminate dust. I have never noticed any problems that I think could be attributed to dust in my sorb. What problems are y'all aware of that could manifest by not taking these additional precautions some of you are?

A friend gave me a 2.5 gallon plastic beverage container with a screw top lip that he got off Amazon. Bought two and passed the second along. Forget how much it was. Just have to get a funnel!
Link?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom