pilot whales stranded in Florida's Everglades park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Survival 'expectation low' for stranded pilot whales in Everglades - CNN.com

Everglades National Park, Florida (CNN) -- The outlook for dozens of short-finned pilot whales stranded in shallow water off Florida's Everglades National Park "does not look good," wildlife officials said Wednesday.
"We want to set the expectations low" that the 41 remaining stranded whales can be saved, said Blair Mase, a marine mammal scientist with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
The assessment came as the number of dead whales climbed to 10, including four euthanized by wildlife officials after being found in "poor condition," Mase said.

This seems to be a regular Keys event. A few years ago, a bunch of pilot whales beached at Cudjoe Key. Several were transported to the marine mammal rescue facility in Key Largo. While there on vacation, my son and I did a couple of shifts in the water with them, holding them up so they could breathe. A few managed to recover enough to be released, I think one or two went to Sea World or somewhere similar. Several had to be euthanized.

If any of these whales end up at the KL rehab, the folks there will need volunteers. If you are in the area, look them up if you've a mind to, it is a fascinating experience. And you have a chance to do a little good. I'm still a little torn about whether it's a good or bad idea to intervene in the course of nature. But then again, some schools of thought posit that whales beach in part due to confusion brought on by man made activities (seismic sounding, submarines, to name two). And the experience was well worth the time and it helped out a volunteer funded activity. So all in all, a plus for us. I don't have their contact info on hand, but a Google search will find them.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

sad news.....hope all works out for the better.

Back
Top Bottom