Pigeon Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjens

Reaction score
Does anyone ever dive the cove just south of Pigeon Pt lighthouse? It looks like a promising site (if the swell wasn't bad). There is an easy entry from whalers cove beach with parking on the access road.Pigeon Pt

I frequently see otters, harbor seals, even whales in the cove from the lighthouse viewing area (one of my favorite places).

If you dive it, do you consider this a beginner / intermediate or Advanced dive? Why?

If not, why not? bad vis? too shallow? too buch surge, nothing to see? or the obvious -- 10 miles from Ano Nuevo and all those GWs???

I know that the fear of GWs doesn't seem to slow the surfers down. Every time I have been to Ano there were surfers off Foaming Sands beach in the cove immediately south of the point. Foaming Sands beach

Just curious because it is closer than Monterey and the lighthouse is a hostel (they even have a hot tub that overlooks the ocean) and it's only $7/pp a night.

To be perfectly clear, I haven't ever dived this site, just curious if anyone else has. If this is a decent dive site it could be really sweet.

RJ

-R,
I actually just joined ScubaBoard last nite because I googled the exact same thing you were asking. and your question popped up. I always wonder the same thing every time I drive up and down the coast from Pacifica on my way to Monterey. Let me know if you learn anythin, and I will pass on any info I get.
- Mark

Ano Nuevo Island is also in Pescadero. I think many would consider it advanced. There are those divers that dive GWS feeding grounds though.

I think many would consider it suicide. On the rare calm day a boat dive might be doable, but there really is no permanent beach there. At high tide the water goes right up to the cliffs, even in the coves. And, at low tide the surf zone would be fairly Monastery-like. The surge and currents probably wouldn't make it a very pleasant dive either. Beyond advanced. (IMHO)

We dove there for abalone many years ago, there are great whites in the area because of ano...after a diver was attacked and killed there we stopped diving...we do fish the area and it is not uncommon to see great white's almost as large as out 28' boat...your smack dab in the "red triangle"...

Back
Top Bottom