Pictures I took while at CoCo View

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Noticed the shark pictures in there. From reading elsewhere, I thought it was pretty rare to see them off Roatan. Am I mistaken or did you just get really lucky? Either way, CCV is on my short list of places to go in the next year or two.

James

In all of our dive trips to Roatan, I have never seen a shark (other than a nurse shark) during any of our dives. I feel relatively certain those pictures were taken during the shark dive offered as a specialty dive on the island.

Noticed the shark pictures in there. From reading elsewhere, I thought it was pretty rare to see them off Roatan. Am I mistaken or did you just get really lucky? Either way, CCV is on my short list of places to go in the next year or two.

James

CajunDiva is correct, the shark pictures were taken during the special shark dive that is offered on the island as a special trip. There is a pinnacle that they take you to a about 70 feet where the sharks gather. If there is enough people going at CCV they will use thier own boat, otherwise they will bus you to the shark dive shop.

Looks great - headed there for our first time next month...can't wait.

James

During the week I was there, Caribbean Reef Sharks made an appearance during two drop-off dives to CCV. It isn't all that uncommon. Think about it- they're in the water 24/7 and we're in their environment maybe 27 hrs in a week... for those who use every opportunity to make every dive at CoCoView.

So during the week of diving, you have a 27 in 168 chance (1/6) of getting a glimpse of them... if and when they swim by. If you are looking out into the blue and not at the florid vibrant walls that line CCV. Not good chances.

My eyes are focused on the macro and micro, rarely looking off into the deep. Big stuff has never fascinated me for long, I like the bizarro world of reef creatures. In the Galapagos, the DMs were absolutely oblivious to the two Nudibranchs that were locked in constant battle on their lava flow "reefs". In the Maldives, the DM had no clue what Yellow Cup Coral was. It just depends on what you want to see.

Use CCV for the micro and macro creatures that abound in this very niche specific locale. Follow the DMs like puppy dogs. Get the Naturalist course from Dockside Dive Center. Buy a glass magnifier, slow down, see what you've been missing. Roatan South side CoCoView pictures by Doc_Adelman - Photobucket

While diving in shore dive access zones from CCV, I have seen Hammerheads, Black and White Tips, two Whale Sharks, Atlantic Mantas and whatever else. Others have actually flopped-in with documented Killer Whales.

Anywhere you go, dive as much as you can- you can't see much from the bar.

Hey Roatanman, I got one of your recommended flip-out glass magnifiers (SE Folding Pocket Magnifier, 6X 2.5" Glass Lens) for a recent Coz trip. Best three bucks I ever spent. Spent prolly 60 minutes watching a blenny in exquistite clarity for the first time in my life. Gonna buy a bunch more of those. Thanks for the tip.

Hey Roatanman, I got one of your recommended flip-out glass magnifiers (SE Folding Pocket Magnifier, 6X 2.5" Glass Lens) for a recent Coz trip. Best three bucks I ever spent. Spent prolly 60 minutes watching a blenny in exquistite clarity for the first time in my life. Gonna buy a bunch more of those. Thanks for the tip.

You should try taking pictures through the magnifying glass - I got a couple of awesome shots of a pygmy seahorse in Indonesia that way :amazed:

RoatanMan is my hero :cheerleader:

IMG_4953.jpg
IMG_4385.jpg

Can give you the pix in the link in my sig line...

Back
Top Bottom