Picture of the octopus under the honey bear....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great picture.. Thanks for sharing it

captnkurt:
Hola amigo, where did you take that pic. I am from Edmonds but now live in P.V. mexico. Just got my cert in april, now have 40 dives and love it. I have some nice video of octopus here, not huge, but nice little guys. Learned in the warm water here and almost dread diving the cold P.S. when I go up and visit. What camera do you use, I have a canons70 powereshot and am very impressed with it.

The octopus was under the Honey Bear. It is a popular boat wreck that is around 40fsw at Cove 2 in Seacrest Park, just south of Alki Beach in West Seattle.

The camera I used was a Olympus Stylus 300 Digital.

captnkurt:
Learned in the warm water here and almost dread diving the cold P.S. when I go up and visit.

Dread it? No need to do that! I love diving up here. Just gotta keep warm, is all. The marine life is so amazing. On a good vis day, it blows the socks off most of the tropical places I've been.

I agree that's a very tough shot down there. Yours worked out very well. You clearly made a very good approach.

Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

NWGratefulDiver:
Downslope side, about 3/4 of the way back toward the stern ... look for the crabshell trail ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

When I look at the honeybear, I can't tell what is up front, what is on the back, its all broken up. I'm from west virginia (landlocked mountain state) personally, and not an expert of noticing which boat sides are called as.

Can you explain just a little more, please? or got a pic of it?

The reason i am a bit confused is because what you're explaining, sure sounds like where that octopus was photographed at...

yukoneer:
When I look at the honeybear, I can't tell what is up front, what is on the back, its all broken up. I'm from west virginia (landlocked mountain state) personally, and not an expert of noticing which boat sides are called as.

Can you explain just a little more, please? or got a pic of it?

The reason i am a bit confused is because what you're explaining, sure sounds like where that octopus was photographed at...
The octopus you took the photo of was under the bow of the boat. Go to the downslope side of the boat (on your left as you're at the bow facing the stern). Go about 3/4 of the way back. Look for a trail of crab shells. Follow the trail to a hole in the ground. Look in ... there's often another octopus tucked away back in there. It wasn't there tonight, but GPO's tend to have more than one den unless they're nesting, and this one may be out on walkabout for a few days ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

yukoneer:
The octopus was under the Honey Bear. It is a popular boat wreck that is around 40fsw at Cove 2 in Seacrest Park, just south of Alki Beach in West Seattle.

The camera I used was a Olympus Stylus 300 Digital.
Thanks, don't know when I'll get up there, but always interested in anything from that area. I grew up in edmonds but never dove until this year here in Vallarta

NWGratefulDiver:
The octopus you took the photo of was under the bow of the boat. Go to the downslope side of the boat (on your left as you're at the bow facing the stern). Go about 3/4 of the way back. Look for a trail of crab shells. Follow the trail to a hole in the ground. Look in ... there's often another octopus tucked away back in there. It wasn't there tonight, but GPO's tend to have more than one den unless they're nesting, and this one may be out on walkabout for a few days ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Aha! Ok, i got it - Thanks! I'll look for it tomorrow. Tomorrow will be our last dive at Cove 2 (going on a cruise to Alaska on Monday, and then driving straight back to Rochester, NY for school at RIT).

captnkurt:
Thanks, don't know when I'll get up there, but always interested in anything from that area. I grew up in edmonds but never dove until this year here in Vallarta

Thats no problem. If you come back to here, there'll always be someone here willing to show you around. I noticed you were fussy about the cold temperatures, that's what drysuits are for! Warm and toasty inside when diving :wink: I just started diving late last year and loving it so far. I bet you are too.

Thats no problem. If you come back to here, there'll always be someone here willing to show you around. I noticed you were fussy about the cold temperatures, that's what drysuits are for! Warm and toasty inside when diving :wink: I just started diving late last year and loving it so far. I bet you are too.[/QUOTE]
Hey, Thanks and I may take you up on it. Not fussy about cold, just been spoiled for the last 8 yrs of warm water surfing and snorkeling, and now diving. Framed to many homes in the cold winters and have kind of gone soft! Just kiddin, I could and would jump right in, next time I go up. My folks still live above the bluff near the Edmonds UW park. yeah the beloved drysuits I know remember fondly. Man have I gotten soft!!

The other octopus den has been unoccupied the last four dives I've been there... including today. Here is a picture I took today of the GPO under the bow of the honey Bear using a Fuji F10 PnS and using the side scatter of my HID to light things up under there:
Honey-Bear-GPO-8-17-05.jpg

Back
Top Bottom