Picture from Jellyfish Lake, Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grahamsp

Registered
Reaction score
About the only really good photo I took during my trip to Palau (and then only with some help from Photoshop).

grahamsp:
About the only really good photo I took during my trip to Palau (and then only with some help from Photoshop).

but a great shot thats a keeper. How was the diving I will be there in Oct/Nov for the first time..Trip report pretty please

Glad you liked the pic.

As for a trip report, well I had good intentions but still have not got around to it. Sorry. But in a nutshell:

• Went for one week in early September on the Big Blue Explorer which was outstanding (and not just because it was low season and the boat half empty);
  • BBE's dive station set-up was great - spacious and easy to move around - and they had the logistics completely under control;
  • We were lucky (very lucky) with the weather which can be bad enough at that time of year to close out some of the best dive sites especially those exposed to the south west;
  • Think safety. Palau deserves its reputation for awesome diving but you have to know what you are doing as the currents can be very strong. I took a full safety kit. An SMB and the ability to deploy on leaving bottom is a must in my opinion (even tho' I only had to use it on a couple of occasions). That said, the BBE team were very safety conscious - detailed briefings, always two boats (even tho' the numbers only demanded one) plus the BBE itself downtide for the Peleliu dives (one of which was pretty hairy), multiple guides (c/w SMB's) and strong emphasis on group discipline;
  • And as for the diving itself, it was the best I have ever done. The drop-offs are just sensational and when they say big blue, they mean big blue! Plus heaps of fish including big pelagics (grey reef sharks up to 2.5 metres plus a possible tiger sighting by two of the team). Less awe-inspiring but still a great dive was the 3 knot trip on the incoming tide down the Ulong Channel. Just fantastic weaving your way through a narrow channel at that speed.
That's about it. Hope you have as good a trip as we did.

Graham

PS If at all possible, do Palau as a liveaboard. The trip out from Koror to sites like Blue Corner is a long, long hack and not to be recommended.

That is quite a nice photo. The deep blue of the water contrasts quite well with the yellow coloration of the animal.

That is a fantastic photo, and thank you for the trip report... Palau is on my list for "someday"!

Jennifer

cdiver2:
Thanks Graham a condensed report but a good one. I have a SMB but will make sure I get a DSMB before I go. All diving will be by day boats, already booked then on to Yap for another week.
My pleasure. Any specific questions, just ask.

G

dude, that's an AWESOME photo. i just came back from palau a few days ago, and the only camera i had on me was one of them crappy kodak disposables. my other friends with underwater cameras went off to peleliu instead (i really wanted to hit up jellyfish lake).

Great shot! February, 2006 for me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom