Pics I took today in Pennekamp park. Need to ID a very weird animal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys, I came across something diving today that has me completely perplexed. Anyone know what this is? Looks like something out of avatar! It's some kind of squid or cuttlefish.. here's the pics.

afe4e5cb.jpg

54660105.jpg

105debbc.jpg

41969465.jpg
[/IMG]

c3555bdb.jpg
[/IMG]

That was the dive master on board the charter boat. Nothing wrong with laying in the sand is there? He's not hurting anything, it's only sand. The rest of the time he maintained boyancy control. His inflator wasn't working .

Your octopus sent me running for the internets. It seems to be a female species of blanket octopus. Apparently, when they mate, a tentacle from the male breaks off and carries the sperm over to the female. Wikkipedia claims that they have been known to rip off man-o-war tentacles to use in self defense.

Your octopus sent me running for the internets. It seems to be a female species of blanket octopus. Apparently, when they mate, a tentacle from the male breaks off and carries the sperm over to the female. Wikkipedia claims that they have been known to rip off man-o-war tentacles to use in self defense.
Thank you! I knew I'd seen one of those in a Nat Geo/Discovery/Oceans DVD but couldn't remember the name.

streetjudge79:
Looks like something out of avatar! It's some kind of squid or cuttlefish.. here's the pics.

Great find!

You do realize there are no cuttlefish in North America.

Cool pics.... the Octopus is amazing... definitely like a sci-fi critter from Avatar! :D

The guy with orange gloves laying on the sand with the dangling inflator hose...not so cool.

A poorly skilled, bad role-model, DM.... nothing new there :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom