Pics from Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great shots! I'd say you did your subject matter justice just fine with your camera. Amazing array of critters too!

Wow! It's like one big acid trip, except for the topside shots! Some really show-y critters!

Wow! It's like one big acid trip, except for the topside shots! Some really show-y critters!

The funny thing is that a lot of the people who were at Lembeh Straits when we were complained about not seeing as much as they had on some previous trips.

Kind've makes me want to go back ... like I needed that sort of incentive ... :D

God had to be doing some trippy stuff when He created that place ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Great stuff, Bob. Incredible variety, another place I have to go! Thanks for sharing.

For a "little point-and-shoot", those were some great shots! However, those Komodo dragons have scared the daylights out of me ever since I heard that they have been known to occasionally prey on humans.

If you are experiencing jet lag and just got back from the trip, how were you able to process so many photos and assemble them into a nice slide show? That type of thing would take me weeks.

For a "little point-and-shoot", those were some great shots! However, those Komodo dragons have scared the daylights out of me ever since I heard that they have been known to occasionally prey on humans.
We visited the park on Rinca ... which consists of a tiny village of a few huts on stilts and about 5 km of trails out in the jungle. To my surprise, the dragons just walk around on the same trails that the tourists do ... the guide carries a forked stick about the size of a broom handle to poke them with if they get too close.

After the tour, I asked him if the dragons had ever attacked humans and he said yes. I said "how often?" ... he said "sixty two times" ... :11:

FWIW - I was more concerned about the water buffalo than the dragons ...

Dave C:
If you are experiencing jet lag and just got back from the trip, how were you able to process so many photos and assemble them into a nice slide show? That type of thing would take me weeks.
Well ... since I was downloading them on my laptop daily, I spent a couple hours each night going thru the day's pictures, sorting out the ones I wanted to keep, and putting them in their own folder. I don't do a whole lot of editing to my pics ... usually spend one or two minutes on each one ... so it didn't take me all that long to process the 125 (out of almost 3,000) that I put in the show.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, Bob, for a "crappy" P&S, you sure did do a fantastic job. I hope I do 1/4 as well when I'm there in Sept. I love the blue scorpion fish and I think that is the first photo I've seen of one. And you did a great job with the mandarin fish. Say hi to Cheng from me (and my son too:D) and if you do retire there, make sure you invite me to visit.:rofl3:

Only just got round to seeing these images - fantastic stuff !!!
Hope to get over there sometime next year, look forward to the trip report.

I too have reached the end of the road with my Pn'S - my E3 is here, housing is a forthcoming attraction. Hopefully in time for my Red Sea trip in Aug.

That was a great show. Do we see a DSLR in your future?

Lots and lots of little hidden things - how much help finding them is available? I find that it takes me a few dives in a spot to start to see these things. Your eye is better at that than mine (you see stuff around here I've not seen yet) so wondering how that works.

That was a great show. Do we see a DSLR in your future?

Lots and lots of little hidden things - how much help finding them is available? I find that it takes me a few dives in a spot to start to see these things. Your eye is better at that than mine (you see stuff around here I've not seen yet) so wondering how that works.
A good dive guide makes all the difference in the world on trips like this one. Being able to see things is only one consideration ... the other is knowing where to look. It takes local knowledge to know that a particular type of shrimp or crab likes to hide in a specific type of anemone ... or what type of gorgonian might shelter a pygmy seahorse. Someone with a good eye might be able to spot those things, but the search would be more random than targeted. Someone who knows where to look is far more likely to find them. And when the creature is small, or camouflaged, or just plain strange, you might look straight at it and not realize what you're seeing. Sometimes the mind plays tricks on you that way and you just don't register that what you're looking at is the very thing you're trying to find.

On the Komodo part of our trip we had three dive guides. Two of them were significantly better than the third ... and it really mattered which one was with us on a given dive when it came to how much we were able to see.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom