picking a new camera set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am looking at the G9 myself. It has RAW and TTL. The memory cards are MMC, SD and SDHC. Canon is releasing the camera with a housing out of the gate (DC21). I spoke to Ikelite earlier today and they are looking at October for the G9 housing. I asked the R&D guy how accurate that timeline was and he said the report is pretty accurate to actual release.

One issue the guy told me about on the G7 housing, the add-on lenses for wide-angle tend to have a little issue with the length of the camera lens. A minor tweak of the zoom fixes it, but you may get darkness on the corners of your wide-angle photos. They have not had ANY issue with just normal camera function. The R&D staff there are currently looking at how the G7 and G9 vary to create the G9 housing. They are not certain if they can tweak the G7 housing design, or will have to create a whole new housing for G9. Even if they tweak, it would be a design change, not like bending something to make it fit type of thing.

He was very confident though that the Ikelite housing will be out by Oct sometime. As such, I am benching the Sea&Sea 1G idea myself. I am going to order my Canon G9 probably VERY beginning of Oct. Then I will look into some of the land-based add-ons and get comfortable with the camera on land. When the housing comes out by Ikelite, I will get that. I have thought about going with the Canon housing though and seeing if Inon has an external adaptor for the wide-angle lens and filters. My call to them about 3 hours ago has not been returned.

I hope this research helps you. I have heard some really good things on the G9 from both web sites and from people in the photo business.

I personally am upgrading from an older Powershot S230 so just about ANYTHING is an upgrade on that...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom