Picked up new Mares Abyss - trade-in program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Canuck

Registered
Reaction score
Just picked up my new Mares Abyss regulator under the Dacor upgrade program. I had an ancient Dacor Pacer octupus. The LDS told me about the upgrade program and $360 Canadian later, I have a new rig. This is a pretty nice piece of equipment. The first stage is very solid and heavy. I should be able to take a pound off my weight belt! The second stage is metal and looks like it is very tough too. I changed my Oceanic Omega 2 side breather to the octupus.

Anyway, can't wait to try it! Anyone else have an Abyss?

Very solid reg. Excellent performer regardless how deep or cold.
Have couple hundred dives on mine and it always performed flawlessly.
One of very few regs that are record setter and were below 300 meters.
Enjoy. :wink:

Have you ever had any major issues at any time with the Abyss?
How is the size of it?

I am looking at the Abyss or the Oceanic Delta 4. I like the size of the Delta 4

Divernate5150:
Have you ever had any major issues at any time with the Abyss?
How is the size of it?

I am looking at the Abyss or the Oceanic Delta 4. I like the size of the Delta 4

The first stage is very heavy and solid. The second stage looks normal to me at least. I'm sure others can provide more information. The rig looks super tough - solid. I like it.

I'm seriously looking at the abyss as well, hard to eat at $299.
pc

As I wrote, it always performed flawlessly, never had any issues with it.
Was performing great when other regs around were freezing. I also have a Poseidon Jetstream and 2xApeks DS4/ATX50 as doubles set up. The Mares is my favourite though.
I had an Acros octopus that was freeflowing and the dive shop wasn't able to fix it regardless of what they did. They contacted Mares and they exchanged the octopus immediately with no charge.
Let me say that I bought my Mares while I was living in Germany and the problems occured in Canada. Mares in North America didn't have to honour the European warranty but they did without any problems. While other diver complain about Mares customer service, I have nothing but good things to tell you based on my limited experience. Never had any issues servicing it as you'll find Mares dealer almost everywhere around the world.
Yeah, it's heavy and probably not the best reg for travelling if you have to watch the weight of your luggage. OTOH, it's so solid that you can roll over it with a truck and it will still work (don't try it at home, I was just kidding but you get my point :wink:).
Personally, I never had any issues with the weight or the size of the first or the second stage.

Out of curiosity, what happens when a reg freezes? Does it just stop?? Freezing would only occur on a lake dive in winter or the arctic or something right? Is freezing something to worry about on our west coast?

aquaoren:
As I wrote, it always performed flawlessly, never had any issues with it.
Was performing great when other regs around were freezing. I also have a Poseidon Jetstream and 2xApeks DS4/ATX50 as doubles set up. The Mares is my favourite though.
I had an Acros octopus that was freeflowing and the dive shop wasn't able to fix it regardless of what they did. They contacted Mares and they exchanged the octopus immediately with no charge.
Let me say that I bought my Mares while I was living in Germany and the problems occured in Canada. Mares in North America didn't have to honour the European warranty but they did without any problems. While other diver complain about Mares customer service, I have nothing but good things to tell you based on my limited experience. Never had any issues servicing it as you'll find Mares dealer almost everywhere around the world.
Yeah, it's heavy and probably not the best reg for travelling if you have to watch the weight of your luggage. OTOH, it's so solid that you can roll over it with a truck and it will still work (don't try it at home, I was just kidding but you get my point :wink:).
Personally, I never had any issues with the weight or the size of the first or the second stage.

Excessively low tempatures will cause the first stage to frezze up. An Enviormental seal that you can get with the Abyss (extra cost) prevents salt sediment and other contaminants from entering the first stage, thus reducing internal corrosion or contaminant buildup. It also isolates the valve mechanism from freezing tempatures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom