Pick and Pluck and Plasti Dip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
Leaving aside the foam vs other case interior and liner systems, has anyone done the Plasti Dip spray on their pick and pluck case interiors? I may eventually go to the TrekPac system for my Pelican 1535 but for now I have the pick and pluck foam liner and have it "plucked and picked" for my NA-6400 system.

I have seen more in the firearms and sport shooting world application of Plasti Dip to the top and bottom of the finished foam interior and then (hot melt?) glue to reinforce the interior corners. This is supposed to provide a much longer lived installation as it prevents the pick and pluck foam sections from being accidentally plucked free over time and general break down of the foam.

James

I tried out the plastidip trick on a camera case once. I don't think I sprayed on enough layers, because the "cells" were still prone to separating around their periphery near snug fitting items that tugged on the foam going in and out. I frankly wasn't that dedicated to the idea to try to improve from that point, so I left it as it was, which was no worse than pick n pluck without the extra effort of plastidip. It's very possible, maybe even likely that I could've seen better success with a few more coats.

Edit: typo

Plastidip on foam works okay-ish.....but it’s still not great..... granted I was using it for firearms which are treated less gingerly that camera equipment.

But personally I would ditch the pick and pluck foam, and buy a replacement solid sheet and cut it out myself with an electric turkey carver

You can also pluck out your shape, then line the top and bottom of the foam with thin sheets of craft foam...and cement them down with barge cement

Okay, just was wondering. I am not familiar with "barge" cement?

I plan to replace the foam with the TrekPac system and a top lid organizer in due course. It allows much more useful room in the case. But it is an expensive set of pieces. With those two items I could probably get the entire system including float arms in the case. But for the moment, foam is what I have. Buying a new cameras has caused me to become poor :( .

James

Oh, I see, it is a brand of rubber cement, Barge, similar to Shoe Goo.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom