PI Oct-Nov '05 Trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midwestdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Currently back in the US from my trip to the Philippines. Hated to come back to the cold weather here. Anyway, I thought I'd post a trip report here. Hopefully I won't bore too many people :D .

Manila: I don't like to stay in Manila too long whenever I go back. However, due to visa problems and family emergencies, I had to spend more time than I cared to in the city. Still nothing beats shopping and fine dining in the big city.

Baguio: Went to Baguio on my second day in the country. This was my first time ever in Baguio as I never traveled there while growing up in the PI. I must say I loved the city. That cool weather was a relief. It was funny how I was perfectly comfortable in shorts and tees while people around me were wearing sweaters and long pants.

Puerto Galera: Aahhh, PG. I love this diving haven. Spent 1 week there the first time then came back for 2 days with the intention of going to anilao for the DOR aftewards (which unfortunately didn't work out as planned :crying2: ) Stayed at Deep Blue Sea Inn on my first week there and Portofino on the second trip, both in Small La Laguna. DBS was decent but will stay in Portofino again when I go back there. There were some nice looking resorts in Sabang but I can't stomach the thought of having to wade through that beach and it's "gray" water although I hated that walk back to my resort after my bar crawls.

Night life in Sabang consisted mostly of discos and bars which were all pretty decent. San Mig Lite were plentiful and cheap and I had my fill of them :D . Went out almost every night so dives were confined to noon and afternoon dives most of the time. Felt a little out of sorts at times at the bars as I seem to be the only Filipino at the bars; most of the customers were either caucasians, koreans, or japanese. Sabang could also use more pool tables as they were always being used and it took forever for a table to become available.

The Dives: What can I say, diving in PG is simply divine. After reading the discussions on this board, I must have been diving at the right time as there were only mild currents on most of the dives. Won't bore you with the details but dove Sabang Pt, Canyons, Sindadigan(?), La Laguna, Coco Beach, Verde, Shark Cave, Ernie's Pt (?), Alma Jane, pink wall. I forgot my log book on the second trip so can't really say what sites I dove then. Did not dive Sabang wreck as I overslept when it was offered. All the dives were great and the quality of the underwater life was awesome. Verde and the Alma Jane wreck was my favorite. Shark Cave would have been one of my faves but there was absolutely no current there when I dove it so it was quiet a bit of a swim to see all the sites.

Overall, I loved my trip. Will definitely go back to PG to see those sites I missed and maybe make it to a night dive at Sabang Wreck. The only real downer for this trip was that I never made it to anilao for the DOR2. Well, maybe next time I'll be able to make it to DOR XXIV :D . Would have loved to have met the regulars on this board. And next time, I'll plan better so I can make it to other areas and to practice that all important phrase - balikbayan po ako :) . Sorry if this was long.

midwestdvr

Also, I would like thank PaoloV, Caloy and Axua. PaoloV for his offer to share the van he uses to travel to Anilao, Caloy for providing infos for my aborted Bohol trip, and Axua for his efforts to find me a place to stay in anilao. Man, Anilao really gets booked during the weekends.

midwestdvr

Hey very nice trip report, thanks for sharing. Also I loved all your photos, especially all the clown fish ones.

dlndavid:
Hey very nice trip report, thanks for sharing. Also I loved all your photos, especially all the clown fish ones.

Thnx. I love clownfishes but I was having a hard time taking their pics at the beginning. Then I realized they kept going after the light on my strobe so once I shut that off, I had an easier time.

midwestdvr

Hey thanks for the trip report! Yeah, when I stayed at small la laguna the crawl back was kinda hard when stumbling - especially when going up the edge of the cove! Can't wait to dive PG.

haha, yea, I remember being the only one in shorts last time I went to Baguio. And even now I see people in Manila wearing beanies - what the heck is up with that!!?!?!?

Take care bro.

midwestdvr:
Currently back in the US from my trip to the Philippines. Hated to come back to the cold weather here. Anyway, I thought I'd post a trip report here. Hopefully I won't bore too many people :D .

Manila: I don't like to stay in Manila too long whenever I go back. However, due to visa problems and family emergencies, I had to spend more time than I cared to in the city. Still nothing beats shopping and fine dining in the big city.

Baguio: Went to Baguio on my second day in the country. This was my first time ever in Baguio as I never traveled there while growing up in the PI. I must say I loved the city. That cool weather was a relief. It was funny how I was perfectly comfortable in shorts and tees while people around me were wearing sweaters and long pants.

Puerto Galera: Aahhh, PG. I love this diving haven. Spent 1 week there the first time then came back for 2 days with the intention of going to anilao for the DOR aftewards (which unfortunately didn't work out as planned :crying2: ) Stayed at Deep Blue Sea Inn on my first week there and Portofino on the second trip, both in Small La Laguna. DBS was decent but will stay in Portofino again when I go back there. There were some nice looking resorts in Sabang but I can't stomach the thought of having to wade through that beach and it's "gray" water although I hated that walk back to my resort after my bar crawls.

Night life in Sabang consisted mostly of discos and bars which were all pretty decent. San Mig Lite were plentiful and cheap and I had my fill of them :D . Went out almost every night so dives were confined to noon and afternoon dives most of the time. Felt a little out of sorts at times at the bars as I seem to be the only Filipino at the bars; most of the customers were either caucasians, koreans, or japanese. Sabang could also use more pool tables as they were always being used and it took forever for a table to become available.

The Dives: What can I say, diving in PG is simply divine. After reading the discussions on this board, I must have been diving at the right time as there were only mild currents on most of the dives. Won't bore you with the details but dove Sabang Pt, Canyons, Sindadigan(?), La Laguna, Coco Beach, Verde, Shark Cave, Ernie's Pt (?), Alma Jane, pink wall. I forgot my log book on the second trip so can't really say what sites I dove then. Did not dive Sabang wreck as I overslept when it was offered. All the dives were great and the quality of the underwater life was awesome. Verde and the Alma Jane wreck was my favorite. Shark Cave would have been one of my faves but there was absolutely no current there when I dove it so it was quiet a bit of a swim to see all the sites.

Overall, I loved my trip. Will definitely go back to PG to see those sites I missed and maybe make it to a night dive at Sabang Wreck. The only real downer for this trip was that I never made it to anilao for the DOR2. Well, maybe next time I'll be able to make it to DOR XXIV :D . Would have loved to have met the regulars on this board. And next time, I'll plan better so I can make it to other areas and to practice that all important phrase - balikbayan po ako :) . Sorry if this was long.

midwestdvr
Hurry back!...thanks for sharing Gio.

Thanks for sharing bro...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom