Physics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have some sample questions I recd from others in here. I'd be glad to pass them along if you wish. I understand this stuff much better and if I can help in anyway let me know.

Greg

Wow. From failed to aced! Congrats on the learning. :biggrin:

Wow. From failed to aced! Congrats on the learning.

and now he is willing to help others - now that is amazing improvement in one week.

Congrats and good luck on the IDC physics.

Congrats!

Diverdowndh and I put off Physics test until next week.
Thanks for starting this thread, Greg.
I'm sure the discussion here will help. :14:

Heeeeeeeeey! Welcome to the board ya lurker! Yes, we will get a taste of it next week when we take the Physics exam.

Congratulations Greg, hopefully you'll hear the same from twebba and I!

LMAO

If all else fails on physics then I suggest going with Joe-Diver's suggestion:

If they are going to torture you with the material then the least you can do is return the favour - it can be lots of fun even if you do understand it. Ask them to explain it again and then just stare at them with a blank stare.

The same goes with watermanship/stamina exercises - challenge their ego's by subtly suggesting they are too old or out of shape to complete what they are asking of you. Be careful on this one since it could backfire on you resulting in even bigger egos.

Note - Ontario-diver, you can ignore the above message.

Cheers,
Aaron

I'm sure this would backfire on me---LOL

Aaron is my instructor in case anyone is wondering why he is picking on me!!!

Brian

Great job Greg!!!!!!!!

Hey All,

I aced the test last night. I have only the "Rescue Assessment" (cake walk) this Monday and I'm done.

Thanks to all of you for your words of encouragement, problem solving, and personal help. You guys are the greatest.

Greg:D:D:D

Every time we go diving we can witness the affects of physics at work and have witnessed them many times with out putting a second thought into them. Many of the concepts that are on the Divemaster's physics exam were taught in Open Water, but to a much watered down degree. For me it was easier to list what each Law did in layman's terms and then learn the math behind it. For me it was a much more logical approach. :)

Archimedes' Principle - Buoyancy

Archimedes Principle states "a body immersed in a fluid is buoyed up by a force equal to the weight of the displaced fluid."

Basically to find out how buoyant an object is you need to know, 1. How dense fresh and salt water are by volume, 2. How much an object weighs, and 3. How much volume of water does an object displace in the water?

1 gallon of salt water weighs approximately 8.6 pounds
1 gallon of fresh water weighs approximately 8 pounds

1 cubic foot of salt water weighs approximately 64 pounds
1 cubic foot of fresh water weighs approximately 62.4 pounds

It should be noted that the water density measurements are of water at 62oF. The weights will change slightly with different water temperatures, but that is not important for the physics exam. It assumes that the water density is static.

So if you have an object that displaces 3 cubic feet of salt water and weighs 180 pounds. How would you determine how much weight you would need to add to the object to make it neutrally buoyant in the water?

First you would find out how much "up force" the water is applying with 3 cubic feet. So you would multiply 3 x 64 to get the "up force" of 192 pounds. If the object only weighs 180 pounds and you want it to be neutrally buoyant then you would subtract 192 from 180 to get the difference between the two numbers. 12 pounds of weight would be needed to make the object neutral. Or if you wanted to make the object negatively buoyant then all you would need to do is add 13 pounds of weight instead of 12.

It's a similar concept when you want to find out how much air need to add to a lift bag to make an object buoyant. The concept here is to find out how much water you need to displace with air.

Boyle's Law - Measurement of volume with applied pressure

This is a simple law that the concept was taught in your Open Water class. My OW Manual (SSI) gave an example where it displayed full AL80 at sea-level and taking it down to 33fsw and showing that the volume of the gas in the AL80 was now 40 cubic foot, even though the pressure in the tank still read 3000psi. What this example showed was the effects of the pressure of the atmosphere at sea-level also the pressure of the water. We know that every 33fsw essentially doubles the pressure. Given this we can determine the formula is P1 x V1 = P2 x V2.

So if the pressure at sea-level is 1 Atmosphere (P1) and we have a AL80 full of air (lets assumes it's 80 cubic foot). (V1)

If we take that tank down to 33fsw it is essentially 2 Atmospheres of pressure exerted on the tank. 1 x 80 = 2 x V2. Given that formula we can assume that the V2 is 40.

Charles' Law - Measurement of volume with applied temperature

I'm sure everybody here has witnessed Charles' Law in action many times. For example, we put our gear together and check our pressure in our tank before we go get our exposure protection on. Let's say that we are using an AL80 filled to 3000psi. We leave the tank in the hot sun while we go get changed. When we come back we notice that the tank pressure reads 3300psi and then when we get into the water and the tank cools down it goes back down to 3000psi. This is Charles' Law in effect.

The formula to figure out the change in volume is V1 / T1 = V2 / T2.

For example: We have an AL80 tank filled to 3000psi. (assume that it's 80 cubic foot of air) You can determine that there is 37.5 pressure per square inch (psi) per cubic foot (cf) of gas. (3000/80 = 37.5)

Let's say that the air temperature is 100oF. So 80cf is V1 and 100oF is T1. If the water temperature is 70oF (T2), then what would be our V2?

80 / 100 = V2 / 70

V2 = 56

Given that number we could determine that the pressure in the tank would drop to 2100 psi (56*37.5).

Dalton's Law - Partial pressures

Dalton's Law is perhaps the easiest to remember since it really only deals with simple addition and subtraction. For instance, We know that the air that we breath contains 20.9% oxygen, 79% nitrogen, and .1% other gases such as argon, xenon, etc. Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures simply takes these pressure and adds them together for the total pressure. So 20.9 + 79.0 + .1 = 100% (P1 + P2 = P3)

Henry's Law - Dissolved gas

Henry's Law really comes into play when you start thinking about decompression theory and how inert gases such as helium and nitrogen dissolve into the tissues while diving. I don't believe that their were any questions on the exam about henry's law. :)

There is one question involving Henry's law on the PADI DM test form "A," iirc, but it's easy.

I have some sample questions I recd from others in here. I'd be glad to pass them along if you wish. I understand this stuff much better and if I can help in anyway let me know.
Greg

Hey Greg,

diverdowndh and I are taking our Physics test on Thursday. We would be interested in any practice questions you've come across.
Could you please send us both some of the samples you used when studying? (PM us)
- Thanks a bunch!

I wanted to bump this old thread from last year for myself and all the other DMTs who are currently struggling with anxiety over the Physics exam.

This thread rocks and there's tons of good info on here, and it sounds like folks are more than happy to throw xtra practice questions at us if we ask very nicely. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom