Physical

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daylight

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have been accepted for a scientific diving project. We will be in very shallow salt water over a three day period. One of the sponsoring institution's criteria is that I have a physical or note from a Doc stating that I am fit to dive. DAN gave me a referral and I am waiting for the Doc to return my call next week.

What does a typical dive physical entail?
Is this something a GP will even do or do I have to go to a diving qualified Doc?

You comments and sage suggestions are appreciated.

DSAO

This begs a related question from my experience.

I got my o/w cert in Cairns, Australia, and was told when I booked the trip and before I showed up for class that a dive physical was required. This was fairly simple, usual height/weight/bp/resting pulse/some others and a pft to ensure that I was fit enough for diving.

Do the agencies/shops here in the USA require such a thing before a student can start o/w training? If not, any reason why?

From my knowledge, training agencies require a medical form to be filled out, stating that the student doesn't have any of the conditions listed. An example would be the PADI medical, which has the student fill out Yes or No to each item on the list. If the student answers Yes to a question then they need a physical assessment from a Nurse Practitioner or Physician. Each person will probably get a different physical depending on who they see and what condition is being tested.

The physical that I received recently consisted of the routine height, weight, and vitals; the physician asked me a few questions about medications and physical condition and history, then listened to my lungs and heart. He signed it without a hitch. However, you may be subjected to a stress test, blood test, and/or pulmonary function test (PFT) as warranted by your physician and possibly the researchers.

I hope that this helps :)

The RSTC has developed specific guidelines for physicians to evaluate scuba candidates. Those guidelines give the physician a quick overview of diving stress and then list relative and absolute contraindications to diving for cardiovascular, pulmonary, neurological, otolaryngological, hematological, orthopedic and gastrointestinal systems as well as metabolic, endocrinological and behavioral disorders. It also specifies pregnancy as an absolute contraindication to diving.
The pamphlet is titled "Guidelines for recreational Scuba Diver's physical exam" and is available from your RSTC (IDEA, NASDS, PADI, PDIC, SSI, YMCA) local dive shop. Though not a member of RSTC, NAUI usually goes along, so they probably have the same form - but I don't know for sure.
Rick

Doc,

Thank you very much.

That was exactly the information that I needed.

Regards,
Larry

Back
Top Bottom