physical test of divemaster padi, explained in details.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swim test is generally the one most people find the hardest (at least scoring well) but its not difficult as such. You can get a 1 or a 2 on that and still easily pass.

Although i can happily swim if i had to do the swim test now i'd get a 1 MAYBE a 2. Its something i simply dont ever do in my day to day work or free time. I could run 20 miles quickly enough but the swim i'd be slow.

Pretty much everyone gets a 5 on the float and the equipment exchange. It's relatively easy to get 4s and 5s on the snorkel and tow as well.

I have struggled myself with the 400 meter on a Scuba test since I never learned before a proper swim stroke. I know how to move around the water with ease but was never an efficient swimmer as I never coordinated properly my legs, arm stroke, and breathing. I studied some free style videos on YouTube and practiced in the pool until I got the free style stroke. After a couple of weeks I was able to do it in about 12-13 minutes which was adequate for passing a similar scuba test. BTW I think that if the back stroke is allowed (in my test it was not), it is an easy way to gain some time. I personally find the back stroke the easiest one because I can keep my legs on top of the water and kick efficiently.

Do not get discouraged if you are not a great swimmer, it can be done.

Since the OP posted this in 2011 I would imagine his issues were resolved one way or the other.

I normally recommend that DM candidates work to their strengths in terms of the swim tests. By completing the ones they are more confident with first, it gives a realistic expectation of what point score is required - and therefore how much additional training they'll need to put it - to achieve their goals on the harder ones.

Swim test is generally the one most people find the hardest (at least scoring well) but its not difficult as such. You can get a 1 or a 2 on that and still easily pass.

Although i can happily swim if i had to do the swim test now i'd get a 1 MAYBE a 2. Its something i simply dont ever do in my day to day work or free time. I could run 20 miles quickly enough but the swim i'd be slow.

Pretty much everyone gets a 5 on the float and the equipment exchange. It's relatively easy to get 4s and 5s on the snorkel and tow as well.

A few questions here. I dive with contacts, always have. Will there be any hurdles to overcome, such as the underwater swim w/o a mask and the complete exchange of gear with a buddy? I have no problems taking off mask, clearing or whatever as long as my eyes are closed. If I have to open my eyes underwater for a task, that could be a problem. I can always go without them but can't see a thing then, pretty bad eyesight.

For the skin dive, how deep do we have to go? I have a hard time clearing on a regular freedive. Once I get to 15 ft or so, the ears hurt and extremely hard to equalize.

A few questions here. I dive with contacts, always have. Will there be any hurdles to overcome, such as the underwater swim w/o a mask and the complete exchange of gear with a buddy? I have no problems taking off mask, clearing or whatever as long as my eyes are closed. If I have to open my eyes underwater for a task, that could be a problem. I can always go without them but can't see a thing then, pretty bad eyesight.

For the skin dive, how deep do we have to go? I have a hard time clearing on a regular freedive. Once I get to 15 ft or so, the ears hurt and extremely hard to equalize.

The task for skin diving to demonstrate:

"Swim at least 15 metres/50 feet underwater on a single breath while skin diving."

Contacts shouldn't be an issue, you can do all the tasks (requiring mask off/flood) with contacts and eyes closed.

A few questions here. I dive with contacts, always have.

So do i. As long as they're soft lenses (most are these days) then no issue at all.

Will there be any hurdles to overcome, such as the underwater swim w/o a mask and the complete exchange of gear with a buddy? I have no problems taking off mask, clearing or whatever as long as my eyes are closed. If I have to open my eyes underwater for a task, that could be a problem. I can always go without them but can't see a thing then, pretty bad eyesight.

I do those skills all the time (i teach them and demo them daily) and i've never lost a lens or even come close to it. I'd recommend daily disposable lenses though as you can bin them afterwards to reduce any risk of infection. The other option is get a prescription mask.

The skin diver crap you don't need to go anywhere near that deep. In the skill circuit you have to demo duck dives and clearing and swim 15m/50ft underwater. That's not DOWN, thats down and across so you can go down to 1-2m and do it without issues. Generally when teaching the DM courses i find this is the one thing people struggle on more than anything else in the entire course. (and ive not found anyone yet that likes it!)

The skin diver application work shop sets no depth either.

The skin diver crap you don't need to go anywhere near that deep. In the skill circuit you have to demo duck dives and clearing and swim 15m/50ft underwater. That's not DOWN, thats down and across so you can go down to 1-2m and do it without issues. Generally when teaching the DM courses i find this is the one thing people struggle on more than anything else in the entire course. (and ive not found anyone yet that likes it!)

The skin diver application work shop sets no depth either.

Great news, thanks. 50ft across is no problem for me then.

I have never lost a contact either but came close. Some guy kicked my mask off on a reef dive going thru a small cavern to the other side, he panicked in there. I was forced to open them and find my mask and to my amazement, the lenses stayed in my eyes but in the corner. Had to surface early :(

Ive never had that issue and ive always got eyes open with no mask.

If that's the case i'd suggest getting a prescription mask. When you're demoing a skill for a student as a DM you really want your eyes open so you can see them. Plus it makes the skill look easier for them too.

A word of advice from a real world perspective. AS a DM in many places being able to easily free dive to free an anchor, or recover an X is something that is not even supposed to be a slight issue.

Figure out what your issue is with equalization before you gte much further. Usually in free diving is it using the hands to swim and getting behind on the equalization, instead of leaving the surface with a properly performed tuck dive.

Not to scold but free diving is an OW class skill, supposed to be mastered in the OW course. Granted most instructors can't freedive so of course they cannot teach it the their OW divers either, but freediving matters. Swimming without Mask Fin Snorkel is a hangover from the LA County Lifeguards being the first scuba training agency. But Freediving matters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom