physical test of divemaster padi, explained in details.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ThomasScherrer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
can any one list the physical tests,
and the score system,
like the score you get in each test pr the time it takes.

I like to perform a little bit of pre-tests to see for my self,
if I have got any chance at all,
or if I'm doomed to fail before I even begin this course :)

Thanks in advance.

The following is from the new 2011 PADI Americas DM Course Instructor Guide. I've provided more than you asked for since the Guide has recently changed significantly, and the information might be useful for other candidates.

Besides academics (Knowledge Reviews and final Exam),
and preparation of an Emergency Assistance Plan,
there are several physical activities:

A - Complete five water-skills exercises, earning a combined exercise score of at least 15.

1 - Swim 400 metres nonstop, without swimming aids and using any stroke or combination of strokes.
under 6:30 min = 5
6:30 to 8:40 min = 4
8:40 to 11 min = 3
11 to 13 min = 2
more than 13 min = 1
stopped = incomplete

2 - Tread water, drown-proof, bob, or float using no aids and wearing only a swimsuit for 15 minutes, with hands (not arms) out of the water during the last two minutes.
Performed satisfactorily = 5
Stayed afloat, but hands not out of water the entire two minutes = 3
Used side/bottom for momentary support no more than twice = 1
Used side/bottom for support more than twice = incomplete

3 - Swim 800 metres face down, using mask, snorkel and fins, nonstop, without flotation aids and without using arms to swim.
under 14 min = 5
14 to 16:30 min = 4
16:30 to 18:30 min = 3
18:30 to 21 min = 2
more than 21 min = 1
stopped = incomplete

4 - Tow (or push) a diver for 100 metres/yards nonstop, at the surface, without assistance – both divers equipped in full scuba equipment.
under 2:10 min = 5
2:10 to 3:15 min = 4
3:15 to 4:20 min = 3
4:20 to 5:30 min = 2
more than 5:30 min = 1
stopped = incomplete

5 - In confined water, demonstrate the ability to effectively respond to an unusual circumstance underwater by exchanging all scuba equipment (except exposure suits and weights) with a buddy while sharing a single regulator second stage.
5 Task performed in a well-thought-out, efficient and purposeful manner with no sign of
problems; very low anxiety level. Looks routine and appears easy.
4 Task performed competently with a relatively low anxiety level. Challenges encountered were easily and efficiently handled.
3 Complete exchange occurred without surfacing. However, numerous challenges were encountered that delayed the speed and efficiency of the performance. This score is also appropriate for a diver overly dependent on another.
2 Significant problems demonstrated, and exchange completed only after one or both team members surfaced once.
1 Inability to complete the exchange; or exchange completed with one or both divers surfacing more than once.

B - Rescue Demonstration:

Respond to an unresponsive, non-breathing diver including:
• Enter the water, locate and surface a submerged diver who is about 25 metres away
• Turn the diver face up and establish buoyancy
• Remove the diver’s mask and regulator, open the airway and check for breathing
• Call for help
• Give two initial rescue breaths, and continue with an effective rescue breath every five seconds with no or very few interruptions
• Tow the diver to safety while protecting the airway, continuing rescue breathing
• Remove both sets of equipment (Equipment handlers allowed)
• Exit the water with the diver.

C - Skills Demonstration:

Demonstrate all scuba and skin diving skills, scoring at least a 3 on each skill, and scoring at least 82 points total, with at least one underwater skill to a 5.
5 Exercise performed correctly, slowly and with exaggerated movement – appeared easy.
4 Exercise performed correctly, and slowly enough to adequately exhibit or illustrate details of skill.
3 Exercise performed correctly, though too quickly to adequately exhibit or illustrate details of the skill
2 Exercise performed with significant difficulty or error.
1 Candidate unable to perform exercise.
Dive Skills:
1. Equipment assembly, adjustment, preparation, donning and disassembly
2. Pre-dive safety check (BWRAF)
3. Deep-water entry
4. Buoyancy check at surface
5. Snorkel-regulator/regulator-snorkel exchange
6. Five-point descent
7. Regulator recovery and clearing
8. Mask removal, replacement and clearing
9. Air depletion exercise and alternate air source use (stationary)
10. Alternate air source-assisted ascent
11. Free-flowing regulator breathing
12. Neutral buoyancy
13. Five-point ascent
14. Controlled Emergency Swimming Ascent
15. Hover motionless for 30 seconds
16. Underwater swim without a mask
17. Remove and replace weight system underwater
18. Remove and replace scuba unit underwater
19. Remove and replace scuba unit on the surface
20. Remove and replace weight system on the surface
21. Vertical, head first skin dive
22. Swim at least 15 metres/50 feet underwater on a single breath while skin diving.
23. Snorkel clear using the blast method after ascending from a skin dive.
24. Snorkel clear using the displacement method after ascending from a skin dive.

D - Practical Applications:
Dive Site Set Up and Management
Mapping Project
Dive Briefing
Search and Recovery Scenario
Deep Dive Scenario
Divemaster-Conducted Programs Workshops
1: Scuba Review in Confined Water
2: Skin Diver Course and Snorkeling Supervision
3: Discover Scuba Diving Program in Confined Water
4: Discover Scuba Diving Program – Additional Open Water Dive
5: Discover Local Diving in Open Water
Practical Assessments
1 - Open Water Diver Students in Confined Water
2 - Open Water Diver Students in Open Water
3 - Continuing Education Student Divers in Open Water
4 - Certified Divers in Open Water

- best wishes,

I can say that if you are not in good swimming shape you'll need a lot of regular lap swimming to do the 400 yd./mtr. swim.

TMHeimer is right. I'm actually in decent shape and still had to work at it.
Went to the pool for a month 3 days a week to get to an acceptable level, wouldn't call it great, and I started out in decent shape. Bike ride and lift weights. If you prepare and put your effort into it you won't fail.

I did my "training" over 5 months once weekly at the pool (distance to pool the factor). Did get a "3". The other stuff is just strength and brains. If you have trouble "floating" for the 15 min. float with hands out last 2 mins. consider drown proofing. Take a decent breath and let your head go under. No work. Legal, and a "5". Watch your "turn" technique on the 100 m tired diver tow-that's where you lose points.

The swim test just didn't seem that difficult if you push yourself, I think maybe people are just getting too psyched out for it. Give it a try and give it your all. I'm not in excellent swimming shape by any means but just forced myself to try and got a 3, I'm sure most could do the same.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk

I did my training over 30 days and could not even swim when I began. I did learn to wing the course and made a disappointing 1 point but it was a point. I had to make up the other points in the other stamina test and it about killed me. But I do believe learning to swim at all was a feat I was proud of and learned on my own.

I had almost 5 years of swim lessons consecutively when I was a kid and to no avail. I never could get it but one very kind hearted scuba instructor took me under his wing and showed me the one step I was not getting and today I am a better person for it. It was sad I only got one point for the course and even sadder that I only had about 30 days to train from scratch but to me learning to swim made everything about divemaster worth while.

The swim test just didn't seem that difficult if you push yourself, I think maybe people are just getting too psyched out for it. Give it a try and give it your all. I'm not in excellent swimming shape by any means but just forced myself to try and got a 3, I'm sure most could do the same.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk

I was briefly on the HS swim team--39 years ago at the time. I may have been a little psyched out, but I couldn't even finish. The proper technique was just not there. I was in decent shape. After lots of laps and some coaching from my 2 swimmer brothers, it all came back to me. Then I had to get the swim muscles (basically ALL muscles are used) up to par with the laps. Exercising some muscles (running, etc.) only helped a little. Using the rubber arm stretches in relation to swim strokes seemed to be the best non-swimming exercise.

I did my training over 30 days and could not even swim when I began. I did learn to wing the course and made a disappointing 1 point but it was a point. I had to make up the other points in the other stamina test and it about killed me. But I do believe learning to swim at all was a feat I was proud of and learned on my own.

I had almost 5 years of swim lessons consecutively when I was a kid and to no avail. I never could get it but one very kind hearted scuba instructor took me under his wing and showed me the one step I was not getting and today I am a better person for it. It was sad I only got one point for the course and even sadder that I only had about 30 days to train from scratch but to me learning to swim made everything about divemaster worth while.

(Bolding added by myself.)

Hmmm, there's something about this post that seems a little off. Can't quite put my finger on it...

:)

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom