Phuket, Thailand Perhaps in '09/'10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve

Wow.....what a DB
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My girlfriend and I are looking to vacation possibly in Thailand next year. My thoughts were to go to Phuket from around December 22, 2009 and stay until around January 7, 2010 :popcorn: . First of all, we are both divers so that is a big part of what we want to do. However it is not all we want to do. Neither of us is interested in a liveaboard so I rule that out. From there we are looking for good accommodations (does not have to the a 7 star but we want comfort (preferably very close to a great beach but does not have to be on the beach). Good people, good food, comfortable rooms and environment etc.. Any ideas? Also, any ideas on dive operators close to the hotels that we can dive with? I hope we can get in 10-12 dives but we want to see the area and all it has to offer as well. We both LOVE the water and the outdoors.

For this period, it is this trip to Thailand or the Maldives....still undecided because I want to do both. I think Thailand will win out. All help will be MUCH appreciated.

Stay in the Hilton Arcadia at Karon Beach; a great hotel and a great beach! It's also very closely located to Kata Center and Kata Beach (another GREAT beach) with many good dive shops, restaurants, bars and shops.

Pity you don't want a liveaboard, as it IS the best way to get the best diving! And if you want "All day, Every day, underwater = HEAVEN", a liveaboard gives you just that!

With day trips you can easily do 4 or 5 days diving on different sites, pick up from hotels in the Kata or Karon beach areas is always included. Phuket has many great resorts, some of the best are at more remote beaches like The Laguna resorts or The Chedi or Bundarika resorts ,which are not really convenient for pick ups. I'd avoid Patong like the plague, Karon and Kata will also be busy as you are planning a trip at the absolute peak season.

My blog (see below) has a lot of Phuket info, things to do etc... feel free to PM if you have questions about Phuket.

Cheers
Jamie

A liveaboard is the best way. There are some very nice and comfortable boats for 4 days/nights trip to the Similans, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock. You will get comfortable diving, excellent diving and a very smooth and relaxed diving vacation. Before or after the liveaboard you can do whatever you like on Phuket and enjoy yourselves in another way.

So I also would recommend a liveaboard. If you don't want that though, there are some very nice daytrips as well. If you decide on daytrips, i would recommend staying in the Kata or Karon region. Close to the departure point for the boats, nice restaurants but without the hassle of Patong. If you do a liveaboard, any place on the island is fine, so you will have more choice inb accommodation and beaches.

I have to disagree with Bowmouth here, and would not recommend the Hilton Aercadia. It is a good hotel with excellent service and ammenities, but the hotel could be situated anywhere in the world and would look more or less the same. I would prefer an equally comfortable but more Thai style place.

So far I love the input and feedback. I have changed my search area to be more towards the Kata and Karon regions as suggested by several people. Thank you so much and I still hope for more feedback. It is all appreciated and considered.

I will look at some of the liveaboards, but I do not think I would even be able to convince myself let alone my g/f. We have no problems with boats, but being that confined (or what my imagination shows anyways) for 4 days and in those close quarters with that many people....I am not sure I would really enjoy it (I know I would love the diving but it is everything else I question). I will look at them though.

Hi ScubaSteve
herewith a list of some hotels in the Kata Area.
1) Orchidacea - email Mrs Wongpaisal at info@orchidacearesort.com
2) The Kata Delight Villas - email Paul at psg@loxinfo.co.th
3) The Tropical Garden Resort - email tropical@phuketresort.ksc.co.th
4) The Kata Seabreeze - email kataseabreeze@hotmail.com
5) The Kata Beach Resort - email ktbrsvn@katagroup.com
6) The Kata Minta - email info@kataminta.com
7) Serene Resort - email sereneresort.com
8) Kata Palm Resort - email info@katapalmresort.com

Otherwise since you mention that you are not keen on a Liveaboard, all the Dive Operators offer the daytrips and some operators in the Kata Noi, Kata and Karon areas offer halfday dive trips via longtail boats to sites within minutes from these beaches. These dive sites are not indicative of the best that Thailand has to offer but they are certainly very pleasant easy relaxing dives to max 18 meters. These are ideal for those who do not want to go the entire day out on a boat and would prefer to start diving a little later in the day.

Hope this helps.
Chantal

Hi Steve,

i just wanna recommend you "Dive Asia" (Phuket diving liveaboards in Thailand diving Burma diving Similan with Dive Asia), they running a nice Safari Boat and goes to Similan/Surin Islands. At the end of october i will join them my second time - but now for the maiden voyage of the new "M/V Dive Asia I" a 30 m new Steel Boat! The diving and the service on the "old" Boat was very good and now i check it out how´s it at the new one.
As well they run a day trip boat to all the nice divesites around Phuket. So i just recommend them. But of course there are more good guys around :D

If you like not to go for Phuket and you love it more quiet go to Ko Lanta - as well in this area. There you have as well nice diving sites! I dove there with Ko Lanta Diving Center last November and we stayed in Lanta Island Resort. There you have really nice long beaches! The diving is running of course by boat and they go the same sites like from Phuket possible. But they have some more dive site like Hin Daeng & Hin Muang (very famous for Manta & Whalesharks) in the south where the guys from Phuket or Krabi don´t go.
If you need more infos - give me a PM!

Cheers
Rob :14:

Greetings Steve,

Did you expect so much attention?! I think I can recommend something that is a good alternative to the above suggestions. Here at Ao Nang we visit the dive sites aroung Phi Phi, Shark Point and of course our own local islands. Hin Daeng and Hin Muang we can do also by speed boat, with a small party of divers. There are some excellent hotels in the area with 5* and boutique hotels along Klong Muang where you can get away from the crowds. For diving try Manta Point scuba diving in Ao Nang, Krabi, Thailand: liveaboards and manta expeditions they are about to open a new service office on Klong Muang. If you would like a short liveaboard during that time, see the webpage on the mentioned site. have a great holisay!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom