Phuket & Similan Pictures (Maybe too many pictures...)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigJeff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Have just returned from Phuket (again!) and am suffering a little from Work Shock, so I thought it’s time to post some pictures.
All the diving both day and live-aboard was done with Sea Bees Diving, and all the sleeping was done with Palm Garden Resort and the live-aboard Marco Polo.

Started off with some day diving from Phuket and during a week visited most of the local sites, I was making and effort this trip to use my wide angle more but this is quite visibility dependant so of course ended up using a mix of Macro/Intermediate and a few Wide.

Around Phuket the visibility was the reverse of what it normally is, with the Eastern sites having better visibility then the southern ones. Still lots of nice things to see in the area, and as this was February there were large numbers of Ornate GPF’s around.

Right, enough talk – into the pictures…

Seahorse - Anemone Reef
Anemone_Reef_5a_.jpg

Reef – Shark Point
Shark_Point_2_.jpg

GPF’s – Phi-Phi
Phi_Phi_13_.jpg

Chromodoris geminus – Phi-Phi
Phi_Phi_30_.jpg

Crab (not sure which) – Phi-Phi
Phi_Phi_1_.jpg

Leopard Shark (with Macro Lens) – Phi-Phi
Phi_Phi_27_.jpg

Next was a 6 day trip out to the Similans and the northern sites, have to say Richelieu Rock is still my favourite.

More Pics!

The Boat – Marco Polo
Koh_Bon_77_.jpg

Mike – Tour Leader with Private school of fish
Koh_Bon_5b_.jpg

Huby – Tour Leader with Diver growing from his back (it’s strange what you miss when composing a picture)
Koh_Bon_33_.jpg

General Scenery (Thanks to Mike for taking this, I’m too lazy to walk up the hill)
Beach_1_.jpg

The trip started in the North, and then worked it’s way South until return to Phuket on the last day. We were lucky with the weather and it was great all week.

Trigger Fish – Koh Bon
Koh_Bon_1a_.jpg

Puffer – Koh Bon
Koh_Bon_16_.jpg

Lion Fish & Friends – Koh Bon
Koh_Bon_20a_.jpg

Small Fishies – Koh Bon
Koh_Bon_30_.jpg

Batfish – Koh Tachai
Koh_Tachai_6_.jpg

Seahorse (working on the next generation) – Richelieu Rock
Richelieu_Rock_38_.jpg

Pineapple Fish (aptly named) – Richelieu Rock
Richelieu_Rock_72_.jpg

Harlequin Shrimp - Richelieu Rock
Richelieu_Rock_74_.jpg

Pipehorse – Breakfast Bend
Breakfast_Bend_4_.jpg

Blenny – Turtle Rock
Turtle_Rocks_4_.jpg

Robust GPF’s – Christmas Point
Christmas_Point_8_.jpg

Longnose Hawkfish – Anitas Reef
Anitas_Reef_8_.jpg

We did not see the “Big Two” on this trip, so here they are from a previous trip on the same boat
Richelieu Rock

Richileu_Rock_55d_.jpg

Koh Bon
Koh_Bon_32d_.jpg

Hope You Enjoyed them, I certainly enjoyed taking them.

The Live Aboard was THB 48,000 for the 6 day trip in AC room and including Nitrox.

This is slightly less than their advertised price, it was offered in the resort for a couple of trips so I signed up for one.

The setup can be a pain to travel with internationally, but it does have it's benefits.

Very nice.
How big is the chance to see sharks on phiphi or de similans?
We go to the similans in april.

That is an impossible question to answer, very few of the sightings are reliable.

Best advice is not to focus too much on the sightings of a few big animals, enjoy the other things as well. I’ve seen people leave liveaboards grumpy and unhappy because they didn’t see a Whale Shark even though the weeks diving was great.

Having said that, there are things you can do to improve your chances….. (as well as being “Lucky”)

There are a couple of sites around Phi-Phi near to Maya Bay where reef sharks are common, but they are nervous. Snorkelling at the sites when there are no divers (between dives) is the best way to see them.

Leopard Sharks can also be found around the area, best to be the first divers in the water as they often move away when if disturbed.

Phi-Phi is not known for Mantas, but they can turn up anywhere. Best chances are probably around Hin Daeng / Hin Muang near Phi-Phi, Racha Noi near Phuket and Koh Bon in Similan – when I say best chances that means a lot less than 30%.

Whale Sharks, again anywhere is possible but recently it seems Hin Daeng / Hin Muang are seeing more than Richelieu – for those you have to be REALLY LUCKY, single digits percentage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom