Phuket/Simian travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

munkispank

Contributor
Reaction score
Dear all,
I am currently preparing research documents for a study examining the role of scuba divers in post-disaster recovery.

To all who have cancelled or postponed trips planned for Phuket, Patong Beach or the Simian islands, I would welcome your input.

1) What was your primary motivation for cancelling/postponing your trip?
2) Are you considering the area for a future trip? if so, when.
3) Have you booked for another destination, if so, where?

If you have not cancelled a trip and have travelled or are planning to travel then I would also welcome your comments.

1) What was your primary motivation for NOT cancelling your trip?
2) Were you concerned about any aspects prior to your trip?
3) Did you experience any negative or positive factors during your trip relating to the disaster?

You can PM me, or post responses. I am seeking as many responses as possible and the information will hopefully help those who are involved in disaster recovery in tourist areas. If you would like more information about the study, I have it available.

All answers are annonomus.

Thanks in advance to all repsonders.

If you have not cancelled a trip and have travelled or are planning to travel then I would also welcome your comments.
I did not cancel. I travelled to Phuket on 5 Jan, did a LOB 6 Jan through 8 Jan, and spent two more nights on Phuket, departing on 10 Jan.

Primary motivation was this was probably a once in a lifetime opportunity for me (to dive in that half of the world). My desire to continue was very high. My wife would never let me go on a dive trip, especially this far from home. I was travelling to Singapore on business, and just extended the trip to do the Similans.

The secondary motivation is that, while there was tragic loss, it would hurt the survivors by not going. They have suffered very much, but to take away future income would continue to hurt them.

There were only two concerns that I had. One was the uncertainty of what was going on with the dive operators (they were cancelling, or changing their schedules). I had to change my plans to accomodate their reduced schedule. The other concern was of disease, but due to the short notice I wasn't able to get any vaccinations. Upon seeing how lightly Phuket was hit, it turned out to be a unrealized fear. There was no need for any vaccinations.

3) Did you experience any negative or positive factors during your trip relating to the disaster?
The positive was the thank you's I got for continuing my trip and spending my money there.
The negatives were seeing the missing persons postings in the airport, seeing some of the destruction, and seeing the look of disgust on the faces of the Singaporeans that heard I just returned from Phuket. I believe they thought it was disrespectful for me to go there after such a tragedy.

munkispank:
Dear all,

1) First of all, I did not see evidence that the area I am planning to visit was damaged, so the trip itself should be very much the same as it would have been without the tsunami. Next, to cancel would be to contribute to the economic disiaster. Putting these people into the unemployment roles will not help the recovery one bit.

2) I have some small concerns about both water borne and mosquito born illnesses, but I am taking the proper precautions and I am confident I will be OK.

3) I have not left yet.

Thanks for posting- Boulderjohn,enjoy the rest of your trip :)

munkispank:

I don't think the area where we're going was affected that much. Since we're going in April, anything that has been honked-up will have been fixed by then.

munkispank:

Not really.

munkispank:

I haven't left yet.

munkispank:

1. Knowing that the dive sites, in general, were not affected by the tsunami, and that Phuket is relatively OK, plus knowing that some of my money would help the local people.

2 Yes, again the dive sites status and the health aspect of a trip to Thailand.
In a bizarre way, thinking of bodies floating in the Andaman sea, didn't do me good..

3. Yes, my partner still hesitates about going to Thailand, though till April there is plenty of time for him to think it over.

I had planned the trip to Similans since November 04. Had planned to go over on 26 Jan onwards for abt a week. However, when the tsunami struck on 26 December, it did not seem like a very good idea to go bec :

1. many had died and I thought that they would stop the dive trips so that there could be body recovery, etc.

2. looking at the images of the destruction (not just thailand but the other affected countries as well), it appeared that the infrastructure really took a beating and I did not expect phuket or the other places to recover so quickly.

3. even if diving were permitted, i was concerned of the possibility of diseases/epidemic - due to the decomposing bodies as well as through infected water supplies.

4. it seemed disrespectful to go for fun dives when surrounded by death and destruction all around.

5. was concerned that the tsunami had destroyed the dive sites.

6. was under the impression that the dive operators would be too affected to continue with the trips.

7. my dive buddy cancelled on me bec of the situation there.

8. pressure fr frens & family not to go as it might be dangerous still (ie there might be another tsunami or something!)

However, as the days wen by and reading through the media reports as well as the accounts in Scubaboard of people in Phuket, it made sense to continue with the trip bec :

1. the residents of Phuket are remarkably resilient and had done a marvelous job in rebuilding and bouncing back.

2. Phuket was not as badly hit as other places in Thailand such as Khao Lak or in other parts of Asia affected (eg Indonesia/Sri Lanka).

3. Body recovery has ceased and reconstruction work in the affected places are progressing well. Many areas in Phuket were not badly affected by the tsunami and are back to normal.

4. boats are still bringing divers to Similans.

5. continuing with the dives is one of the ways to assist the Thai people in returning to normalcy since tourism is the key industry in Phuket.

6. i really want to dive in the Similans...

My dive buddy has decided not to go but I've just confirmed my trip there with one of the local dive operators in THailand. Have also just made my hotel reservations.

Am really looking forward to the trip!

:)

PS - had wanted to assist in the coral conservation/clean up project as was discussed in another thread. However, there was no reply fr the organisers. It appears that they have more than enough thai volunteer divers. Guess that's a good problem to face!

Hi BlueAlf, Yes, aparently they have had lots of volunteer divers, but I understand that there are still lots of debris to be recovered. Not very exciting stuff, but still impotant. there are lots of inpromtu trips which are organized on site. You may well find that people are organizing somethign when you are there, or you could just pick up small items which you may find on the reef during regualr dives.

The biggest contributuion will be your trip, economic recovery will be very important. And you will have a great time. My buddy was in the Similans a few days ago and the reef quality and sealife are still exceptional.

I didn't cancel because I had done my research on forums such as scubaboard.com and was satisfied that it was safe. I also asked Thai friends who had relatives in Phuket what the situaton was and was assured that it was safe. Also, I am never certain that the full 100% of my monetary donations to charities, NGOs, etc. ever reach their intended destinations so I'd rather go and show my support by staying at hotels, eating out, buying t-shirts, etc.

No I wasn't as I believed I had done a thorough job in researching all aspects of the trip. My parents and friends were more concerned than I was.

I experienced only positive factors - the people in Phuket are so friendly and helpful and if there was anything negative that I felt, it was that they were so desperate for tourists to return. Some hotels have made workers redundant, others have told staff to take extended leave of absence.

I just came back from a dive trip south of Phuket. I guess I felt into both category, having cancelled a trip and actually added on a trip.
I was going to go to Andaman/Nicobar Island intially during New Year Holiday.

1) trip was cancelled because the diveoperator cancelled the trip. At the time, there was not a lot of info out of Andaman island except for the amount of casualty (something like 7000 out of 12000 total population) and Imigration on Port Blair was closed for the duration and no outside visitors were allowed.
2) Yes, but probably not until next year at least since diving season is only until March there and as far as I know, the indian Government still does not allow anyone to go in at this time.
3) yes, just came back from South Andaman trip.

South Andaman trip:
1) since I heard that Phuket recovered pretty well and the divesites were pretty much unaffected and I would like to show my support to diveoperator that I like.

2) No, there are plenty of positive feedback from the local area.

3) Major plus, not a lot of other divers around, there are some great diving here but often ruined by number of diveboats and divers in water so now I got to dive in some great sites that are not so crowded.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom