Phuket or Cebu?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nord

New
Reaction score
In Feb 2011 me and my girlfriend are flying down to South-East Asia hopefully for some excellent diving. We are torn between Cebu and Phuket. In Cebu we would do Malapascua first (5 days) and then Moalboal (5 days). I have dived in Phuket (Rasha Yai) before and it was great in terms of coral and vis, but not many big fish. In Malapascua I'm fascinated by the chance to see the famous threshers.

I'd really appreciate comments from people who have the privilage of being able to compare diving in these two places! Cebu or Phuket - that's the question...

Many more divesites from Phuket than Racha Yai. Racha Yai is an excellent place for studens or people who have not bene diving for a while, but there are other places where the fishlife is abundant, and with soft corals, hard corals, etc.

Plus of course you could also the the Similan islands, either by daytrip or (best way IMO by liveaboard, preferably 4 days/4 nights).

If you are looking for top-side attraction and great food then Thailand is miles ahead BUT in term of diving.....Philippines is simply BETTER.
There is no comparison!!!!

stevenl.... the OP asked for a comparitive recommendation, not just a plug for your local diving area.

I think that Centrals hit the nail on the head. Phuket has the infrastructure, hotels, bars and attractions. Cebu offers the better quality diving and, of course, the Threshers.

Thanks for your replies! The lures of topside life in Phuket are undeniable and e.g. the food is great, but I think a little peace and calm wouldn't hurt this time.

In Malapascua and Moalboal the dive sites seem to be very accessible, allthough getting to the actual destinations is a bit of a mission. In Phuket it is the other way around. However, if it is the case that Cebu offers better diving overall as well as in terms of big fish, then that's where we'll go!

Personally, I'd look into heading to Khao Lak or Koh Lanta rather than Phuket in Thailand. Check out Seadragon for Khao Lak, and look into jumping on a liveaboard to get to the Similans. For Lanta check Blue Planet and look to get out to Hin Daeng/Hin Muang - I hear there's been lots of mantas and a few whale sharks already this season......

For Malapascua, check the Thresher Shark Divers website out.......

Last edited:
stevenl.... the OP asked for a comparitive recommendation, not just a plug for your local diving area.
Tyhe Op also mentioned he has been diving at Racha Yai, so I think it is very informative for the OP to point out that there are many more and better divesites in the area than Racha Yai.

And the diving in the Andaman Sea of Phuket, Khao Lak, Phi Phi and Krabi simply is good, in certain spots even excellent. So sorry, I don't agree Cebu 'simply has the better quality diving'.

And the diving in the Andaman Sea of Phuket, Khao Lak, Phi Phi and Krabi simply is good, in certain spots even excellent. So sorry, I don't agree Cebu 'simply has the better quality diving'.

Again, is this a comparison based on your personal experience of diving at both locations?

If so, what is your comparison based on? Please explain?

I have done all three.

Definitely Cebu. Doing both Malapascua and Moalboal would be great coz you see different behaviors of the threshers at theses two places. The sardines at Moalboal are a sight to behold.

I will be in Moalboal in Feb too. 18-22 Feb. Maybe we will see each other there :)

Firstly as it's a dive trip let's forget Phuket - you'd want to take a liveaboard in Similans which has brilliant diving with heaps of fish and a chance to see mantas and whale sharks if you're lucky. Topside fun is limited to before and after the liveaboard trip.

Malapascua is great but really only has two good dive sites - Monad shoal (the Threshers are brilliant) and Gato island which has lots of reef sharks, sea snakes, a nice cave and lots of other good things to see. You're definately doing the right thing by combining it with a trip to Moalbol to add some variety - the schooling sardines are brilliant especially when the tuna and trevally are hunting

You can't go wrong with either choice - I'd say Cebu's slightly ahead because there are other places you can see lots of fish and mantas that might be better than Similans (Raja Ampat!) but there's nowhere else you'll see Threshers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom