Phuket in November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ubiquitin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm planning on going to Phuket in November, around the 10th to the 18th or so, and dive off one of those liveaboards to the Similans. I'm thinking of heading over, spending a couple of days diving Phuket (I'm not sure where exactly, but I hear day trips to the south are good), heading off for the liveaboard, then just slumming around Phuket for the last 2 or 3 days before flying back.

I'm just wondering if mid-November is the ideal time to go, seeing how it will be right at the start of the season on the Similans. I'm not averse to postponing the trip till December if the diving is better then, but I'm afraid it will get too crowded.

Any recommendations on a place to stay in Phuket, or on a LOB? I don't really care about luxury, and I should be fine anywhere that's reasonably clean. I'll probably be visiting Patong once just to see what's it all about, but in general I just want somewhere a little more sedate, though not so sedate that it becomes difficult to buy food and stuff.

Also, will there be any difference in the dive sites visited by the 4d4n LOBs compared to the ones that go out for 5d5n?

We did a week in Koh Lak with a 3 day livaboard to the similans and a week in Phuket, SeaBees diving handled everything including accommodations at the Palm garden in both locations. Excellent boats, guides, dives and accommodations. We are both dive pros and they met our expectations in every way. I've recommended them to friends and they had the same great experience.

I'm planning on going to Phuket in November, around the 10th to the 18th or so, and dive off one of those liveaboards to the Similans. I'm thinking of heading over, spending a couple of days diving Phuket (I'm not sure where exactly, but I hear day trips to the south are good), heading off for the liveaboard, then just slumming around Phuket for the last 2 or 3 days before flying back.

I'm just wondering if mid-November is the ideal time to go, seeing how it will be right at the start of the season on the Similans. I'm not averse to postponing the trip till December if the diving is better then, but I'm afraid it will get too crowded.

Any recommendations on a place to stay in Phuket, or on a LOB? I don't really care about luxury, and I should be fine anywhere that's reasonably clean. I'll probably be visiting Patong once just to see what's it all about, but in general I just want somewhere a little more sedate, though not so sedate that it becomes difficult to buy food and stuff.

Also, will there be any difference in the dive sites visited by the 4d4n LOBs compared to the ones that go out for 5d5n?

I am in a similar position - I am doing a work trip to Shanghai and made the mistake of looking at airfare to Phuket. For $500 roundtrip non-stop it seems silly NOT to head to Thailand and do some diving. Looking at November 9th/10th - 18th.

Anybody have experience with Khao Lak SCUBA Adventures in particular? Khao Lak Scuba Adventures - PADI 5 star IDC in Similan Islands

Mid-November is a good time to come. The big year-end crowds won't have started to show up yet, and everything will be at full service already.

There are literally dozens of liveaboards with staggered sailing dates to the Similans and Richelieu, so my advice would be to search by date rather than by boat. This will cut the list down considerably, and then you can eliminate by some other factor such as price or cabin type to make an even shorter list. From there, you can look for reviews and make your final selection.

The dive sites visited on 4d/4n and 5d/5n will be equivalent. You'll just get a couple more dives with a longer trip. (It's the 3-day trips that significantly change itineraries.)

KSA is a good operation, and there are others that are similarly-priced with similar facilities, services, and reputation as well.

I am in a similar position - I am doing a work trip to Shanghai and made the mistake of looking at airfare to Phuket. For $500 roundtrip non-stop it seems silly NOT to head to Thailand and do some diving. Looking at November 9th/10th - 18th.

Anybody have experience with Khao Lak SCUBA Adventures in particular? Khao Lak Scuba Adventures - PADI 5 star IDC in Similan Islands
They have basic boats but well run, backpacker style. Take for example quite long transfer times into account, the transfers to Phuket start at 14.30 hours, with arrival in Khao Lak around 19.00 hours.

Make sure you do a trip of minimum 4 days/4 nights, 5 days/5 nights even better.

Mid-November is a good time to come. The big year-end crowds won't have started to show up yet, and everything will be at full service already.

There are literally dozens of liveaboards with staggered sailing dates to the Similans and Richelieu, so my advice would be to search by date rather than by boat. This will cut the list down considerably, and then you can eliminate by some other factor such as price or cabin type to make an even shorter list. From there, you can look for reviews and make your final selection.
Yeah, it seems that there is a veritable smorgasbord of choice when it comes to LOBs. I just aimlessly poked around with google, and there are like boats galore-- and you know that for every boat on there Internet, there must be at least a few more not listed.

I have some research to do. All the boats actually sound alright, based on my desultory look, and I honestly think I'll find it difficult to tell the difference even between the budget and luxury boats, much less between boats of the same class.

Assuming a LOB departure sometime in mid-November, how long do I have before the boats begin filling up, and places become scarce?

Yeah, it seems that there is a veritable smorgasbord of choice when it comes to LOBs. I just aimlessly poked around with google, and there are like boats galore-- and you know that for every boat on there Internet, there must be at least a few more not listed.

I have some research to do. All the boats actually sound alright, based on my desultory look, and I honestly think I'll find it difficult to tell the difference even between the budget and luxury boats, much less between boats of the same class.

Assuming a LOB departure sometime in mid-November, how long do I have before the boats begin filling up, and places become scarce?
That depends on the boat and a portion of luck. Some boats are already full now for certain November sailings, mainly due to charters. These are usually the mid- and high- priced vessels. Other than charters, there's a good chance these boats won't be entirely sold out and still have some spaces even a week before the trip. Budget boats do fill up, and the sailings may be full several weeks out from the trip. Or not. It's helpful to get local assistance to learn which boats are which, what the sailing dates are, whether there's availability.

"difficult to tell the difference even between the budget and luxury boats" .. the price is a clue! Generally, in terms of boat quality, you get what you pay for. The staff on the cheaper boats may be great, but the expensive boats are booked by people who like a bit of luxury. While both are good boats for the price, there is for example a world of difference between the Dolphin Queen (aimed at backpackers) and the Diva Andaman (aimed at divers who want the best they can get!).

November is the quieter month to come and because there are so many medium to lower priced liveaboard boats you may be able to take advantage of the last minute special offers. These last minute specials are usually offered about a week prior to departure.

Otherwise Karon, Kata and Kata Noi are quieter areas to stay on Phuket and they are only about 10 to 20 minutes drive to Patong. Tuk tuks and taxis are readily available.

KSA are a very good company. They have just refurbished their spacious boats ready for the new season. If you want the quiet(er) life, then Khao Lak is a great choice. Khao Lak is a couple of hours drive north of Phuket - it's quick and easy (and cheap) to catch a public bus from the bus station in Phuket Town...

If you want to dive the southern sites, such as Hin Daeng and Hin Muang, you could split your time 50/50 between Khao Lak and Koh Lanta.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom