Phuket Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

centerseeker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently received my Open Water certification and have 4 dives under my belt. I'm heading to Phuket , Thailand and I'm interested in diving there. Looking for recommendations for reliable people to dive with and places to dive for my level. I hear a lot about Similan Islands and liveaboards but would like to go on day trips for right now. Thanks for the help.

Go to http://http://www.seafundivers.com/. I did my IDC through them and they are great. DMs are great tour guides and find just about everything you want to see. Prices are good and they are very accommodating. If you go, tell Nick I sent you and maybe you will get a discount.

Peter Butucel

Wow, that was quick, Thanks Peter, I will check them out and say Hi to Nick for you. Most appreciated,
Peace,

Steve

Steve, I think you're smart not to join a liveaboard cruise at this point in your development as a diver. As for dive shops on Phuket, there are many, many good ones, and they will all take care of you. Sea Fun isn't the most expensive, nor is it the most economical, and they do a good job on their trips--so all in all fairly typical for a Phuket boat. When I book daytrip fun dives for my divers, I usually select the operator according to the day of the week my divers want to go out (each op has a set weekly schedule) so that I send them to the most appropriate dive sites for the objectives they want to meet. I generally try to put divers on boats with three tank trips, if possible, because the per-dive price is lower (fuel costs are a huge contributing factor of the price of a trip, and adding a third dive costs very little more in fuel).

Thanks Quero,

Advice really appreciated. Are there any other dive shops worth mentioning or should I search them on-line and compare day trips with 3 dive outings? Leaving in a couple of days and would like to go to Similan or Koh Phi Phi on a day trip if possible, Peace,

Steve

Steve, you can get to the Similans for a daytrip from Phuket, no problem. It's a long day because you have to go by shuttle van to a jump-off point about 100 km away from the Phuket daytrip pier, and you only get two dives, but it could be an adventure (for example, if you're lucky enough to see mantas). Otherwise it's a long way to go for a two-tank trip. For local dives, including Phi Phi, the list for you to compare options would depend on what days of the week you're free to dive.

Steve, you can get to the Similans for a daytrip from Phuket, no problem. It's a long day because you have to go by shuttle van to a jump-off point about 100 km away from the Phuket daytrip pier, and you only get two dives, but it could be an adventure (for example, if you're lucky enough to see mantas). Otherwise it's a long way to go for a two-tank trip. For local dives, including Phi Phi, the list for you to compare options would depend on what days of the week you're free to dive.

Thanks Quero,

It does sound like a long day. As it is, I will be starting from a house on the north side of the bay to get to the daytrip pier. I will have something to look forward to for the next trip. My wife is Thai and we will get back next year, same time. By then I will have a few more dives under my belt and can make the liveaboard for 2-3 days and do it the right way. Plenty to see for me as it is and I can do a three dive day at Phi Phi and/or another nearby. Thanks again, now to get DAN insurance, any recommendations?

Thanks Quero,

Advice really appreciated. Are there any other dive shops worth mentioning or should I search them on-line and compare day trips with 3 dive outings? Leaving in a couple of days and would like to go to Similan or Koh Phi Phi on a day trip if possible, Peace,

Steve
Don't do Similans on a daytrip. It is far, expensive, and the diving at local sites like Shark Point area and Phi Phi is even better at the moment.

In RE insurance, you should check your current accident and health insurance policies to see what limitations are placed on adventure sports like scuba diving. Some policies exclude these activities all together, and some will pay for treatment but not for evacuation. DAN insurance is secondary insurance anyway, and it will only cover what your primary policy doesn't, so it's worthwhile knowing what you've already got so you know what you're paying for. Other than that, absolutely, you should have insurance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom