Photos of Weeki Wachee Mermaid Tribute to USA Olympics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sigh, it would be nice if they were native to our kelp forests, but I hear the water is too cold.

Yes, I think they are an endemic species native only to west central Florida. From what I've read (Weeki Wachee Springs), they were first discovered about 60 years ago. Bill, as a marine biologist maybe you should come to Florida and do some very thorough analysis of this captivating species. :)

..........as a marine biologist maybe you should come to Florida and do some very thorough analysis of this captivating species. :)

I knew I never should have gotten into business. "Marine Biologist" I was told....Darn the lifetime of bad decisions. :11doh:

Doug, I think you have a good idea. Let's see if I can write a successful grant to study the reproductive behavior of these unique aquatic beings. After all, I should be in Florida again about Nov-Dec to help Mom out in Sarasota.

Great job Doug!
The mermaids of yesteryear were referred to above--Attached is a pic of some of the mermaids from the 50's and 60's-today! This was taken at a house concert at Jill Heinerth's place. The guys are legendary Texas singer-songwriter, Eric Taylor and not-so-legendary Jill's husband Robert McClellan (in green). That's Ross Ambrose and cave diver Scott Butsch lurking. The mermaids (who still look great and swim in Mermaid reunion shows) are Crystal, Barbara and Denise and ?Jean? That spring water may indeed be the fountain of youth!

Attachments

• TaylroMermaids-01.jpg
    TaylroMermaids-01.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 46
I don't understand.
If the lion fish made it Jamaica from Florida, how come no mermaid sightings yet off our coast?
What's up with that?

Maybe because people release Lionfish. Not many are willing to release mermaids......

The mermaids (who still look great and swim in Mermaid reunion shows) are Crystal, Barbara and Denise and ?Jean? That spring water may indeed be the fountain of youth!
I am a personal friend of Barbara (far right) and until you see her swim, you don't know what athleticism is. She is amazing.

Back
Top Bottom