Photography deeper than recreational limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pongo1998

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How many of you do photography deeper than recreation depths? Thought about taking some tech diving courses but wasn't sure if
there is anything really deeper to take pictures of, besides the fact that I would need to replace most of my gear.

There are a lot of cool things below 40 meters, it just depends on whether you think they would be worth the cost of all the upgrades.

The tech training will be expensive, as will the tech diving equipment (this is a big investment). Then, you will likely need to upgrade your photo equipment to a deeper depth rating as well (depends what you have now).

An advantage of tech training is that you can stay longer at recreational depths. You'll be limited by your gas supply, not the NDL. And, your photo kit probably wouldn't need to be upgraded for depth. Many of my deco dives are long 25 to 30 meter dives rather deep dives.

If you like wrecks, there are a lot of them below recreational depths. Here's an extreme example: USS Atlanta Project | Global Underwater Explorers

If you like reefs, there are interesting critters that live below recreational depths. Here in the PNW, we have cloud sponges that start at about 100 feet, but get much larger in deeper water. At about 140, we pick up the red gorgonians. In Monterey, they have boot sponges, and starfish species they don't see shallower. THESE photos were all taken below recreational depths.

The other thing about technical training is that, if it's GOOD technical training, it will give you some additional tools to use as a photographer. I don't know if you have a back kick, for example, but I find that one of the most useful things in the world for taking pictures, either to stay off a wall, or to keep a mild current from blowing me over the critter I'm trying to capture. Pinpoint buoyancy control is useful, and non-silting propulsion is fabulous, to avoid the "great wall of silt rolling down over my subject" phenomenon.

The deeper you go, the less there will be colorful small flora or fauna. So if you are into "aquarium" type diving, you might be disappointed. But, instead there is a lot more:
- larger fish
- forests of black coral
- deep blue - what a lovely color
- deeper wrecks tend to be larger and less disturbed by tourist divers
- more skilled divers - also better for posing as models for photography

There will also be more challenges in addition to the required technical diving skills:
- less light = greater need for additional light, lighting the scene, greater cost
- you will need a proper metallic housing for camera, e.g. Aquatica, Gates or Nauticam.

Periodically I do deeper dives (not much deeper -- 150 - 165 foot range) with my camera and housing (rated to 130 feet). Most of the deeper dives have been on wrecks and the pictures are of the wreck and the critters on the wreck -- others have been on walls and the critters on the walls.

There are some things worth shooting below 130 feet but it is my belief that most things worth shooting are above it!

There are a few things worth shooting "farther down". It is dark and cold. I shoot with an Aquatica housing, and it's rated depth is 300 feet, right out of the box. You can get them "upgraded" to 400 or 500 feet. Nauticams are to 300 feet too, and upgradeable I believe. Others are correct in that this will be one sizable investment, in photo gear AND dive equipment. Let me make it even more expensive for you; I would pursue the re-breather route. They are a photographers best friend, and better for "big boy & girl deep dives". Just my 2 cents. Lot's of great info on this thread :)

UB88-20_zps4ca3ea98.jpg

UB88-12_zpsd5ed8544.jpg

UB88-16_zps06c153ef.jpg

Wreck of the WWI German submarine UB88, 180-190'

JennyLynne17_zps4552950e.jpg

JennyLynne15_zpsdbe65248.jpg

Wreck of the FV Jenny Lynn, 145'

This is video I shot with an old Hero camera with ambient light on a somewhat overcast day..I'm sure the Hero 3 would do better now.

The Ocean doesn't stop at 130 feet.. LOL..

[video=youtube_share;1g4Cf-7-rHQ]http://youtu.be/1g4Cf-7-rHQ[/video]

Here's the results from three technical dives I did earlier this month...

Japanese WWII patrol boat - in recreational depths, but we enjoyed significantly extended bottom time on this dive.

[vimeo]63535774[/vimeo]

Newly discovered L2D 'Tabby' aircraft wreck - not accessible to recreational divers.

[vimeo]63293231[/vimeo]

F4 Phantom aircraft wreck - not accessible to recreational divers.

[vimeo]62800684[/vimeo]

Thanks everyone for the help. The pictures look great, I guess I will look into tech certifications.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom