Photographers make the worst dive buddies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I thought I would post this over here.....have been discussing coral burns I inflicted on myself grabbing a ledge in a stiff current (Blue Corner, Palau).

Well, I have reached a new low. On vacation with my newish diver BF, the dive guide briefed us that we were not going to hook in because....the current was really stiff and the plan was just to drift it. No one in our group had hooks and mine was in BF's BC pocket since I have no pockets on my eclipse. We were drifting along and I took the liberty of putting Jim on my long hose since he was getting low on air. We had done this before and are comfortable with this. Shortly after, some amazing shark action unfolds in front of us and guide decides to have everyone grab the ledge. I have a large camera and strobe and am holding on "...rigorously". At this point I was a little concerned that if I get blown off, Jim's reg is going to be popped from his mouth. I was sure he could handle it and although concerned, I struggled to get some shots. My determination to do this provided me with some nasty coral cuts on my paws and some reflection about my actions. Since Jim, a Marine officer who has been in some rough combat and does marathons, etc, I find myself putting him in situations I would not put another person in. He is very cool headed, fit, follows directions flawlessly. Still, I feel a little overcome at times with the intoxicating desire for a certain picture. I am a conservative diver profile-wise, etc. I do find myself pushing it when taking pictures. I am not sure what the solution is or if there is one, except to remind myself at the beginning of the dive not to get "photo-drunk". Please don't flog me, I am looking for insightful advice from anyone dealing with this issue.

I have two buddies, one named Aquatica, the other named Amphibico...

:):)

Now lets see who gets flogged!!!

My suggestion is to rig yourself up with a redundant pony and give Jim to the dive guide..

But then again thats just me...

:)

Photographer should be considered a solo diver as well as photographer's buddy. Especially the buddy. The only way to "improve" on this condition is for the non-camera buddy to faithfully follow the photographer like a remora. Would suggest both buddies be prepared as solo divers, with ponies, in conditions that you describe.

You could say I have a multiple personality disorder when diving. Without a camera, I can be one of the best buddy you can have out there. Always stays close by and keeps my eye on the buddy. Put a camera on my hand and I become a different diver. I tend not to pay as close an attention to my buddy as I should have. There are also times where I've thought to myself, take this shot or quit and chase my slowly disappering buddy? At times, I've rented DMs just so that I have a buddy that will stay by me as I take a pic (plus they're usually good at finding critters).

Mike Veitch:
I have two buddies, one named Aquatica, the other named Amphibico...

:):)

Now lets see who gets flogged!!!

My suggestion is to rig yourself up with a redundant pony and give Jim to the dive guide..

But then again thats just me...

:)

Yea, I figured you would say that. (Catherine 96821, forgot to log in)

I'm similar to Midwestdvr although being a really attentive buddy only surfaces when I'm diving with folks whose skill levels I'm not sure of, or know they will need close attention. Most of my regular buddies are also photogs (and instructors) so we essentially dive same ocean but reasonably close together. Because I carry the camera on every dive, I really prefer to dive solo if one of my regular buddies isn't available. I just get too focused on my videotaping since that is the real reason I am down there 99% of the time.

dkktsunami:
Photographer should be considered a solo diver as well as photographer's buddy. Especially the buddy. The only way to "improve" on this condition is for the non-camera buddy to faithfully follow the photographer like a remora. Would suggest both buddies be prepared as solo divers, with ponies, in conditions that you describe.

Yes, I have been told that and see the point. At times, I do dive alone, but I do not have a pony, so maybe I need to consider that.

catherine96821:
I am not sure what the solution is or if there is one, except to remind myself at the beginning of the dive not to get "photo-drunk".
Recognition and admission of the problem is the 1st step. Now you only have 11 more to go! :)

One method that can work is the "photography team". One diver has the camera, the other actively works as a critter spotter. Roles are swapped after each dive. The photographer makes eye contact with the other after each and every shot.

Even better is a 3 diver team.
Some of my most enjoyable diving was when I buddied up with a two diver "photo team" for 4 days in Cozumel -- two divers buddied up, fanning out looking for stuff, while still keeping an eye on the third, whose eye was glued to a camera most of the time.

midwestdvr:
You could say I have a multiple personality disorder when diving. Without a camera, I can be one of the best buddy you can have out there. Always stays close by and keeps my eye on the buddy. Put a camera on my hand and I become a different diver. I tend not to pay as close an attention to my buddy as I should have. There are also times where I've thought to myself, take this shot or quit and chase my slowly disappering buddy? At times, I've rented DMs just so that I have a buddy that will stay by me as I take a pic (plus they're usually good at finding critters).

yes, the "change" is what I am struck by. If I am helping as a DM, of course I do not have the camera. Most always I have the camera and most always I am ...lagging behind, seperating off, not navigating, etc. The "remora buddy" works great for me- just not sure its fair to my wake of "over it" buddies!

If your BF is a Marine officer my guess is he does'nt want you to dive solo. When my GF did photography I followed her like a hawk just to make sure she didn't get in trouble since she gets so focused in the shot that she forgets everything else. It seems the first thing you need is a bigger tank for the BF so he can save your butt when you run out of air, not the other way around.

To answer the question, photographers are not the worst buddies; Macro photographers are. They will spend a whole tank of air covering 10 sq.ft. while the non-photo buddy hangs around twiddling his thumbs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom