Photo File Size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_cat_keeper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Just wondering why... I noticed that the file size varies from 500KB to 1000+KB when shot at the same resolution (1600 x 1200). Why is that so?

Thanks in advance,
Cat.

You propably shoot jpeg pictures rite? Jpeg pictures are compressed so that every color pixel isn't saved in the picture. Instead jpeg compression saves the diffenrences between pixels nearby each other. For example if you have a picture that consists 9 pixels one in the center and others around it the center pixel is saved and from other pixels only how much they differ from the center pixel. As all pixels have rgb (red, green, blue) value which is something between 0-255 for all 3 colors one can save space when only saving the difference of 2 pixels since it's very seldom that 255 (white and black next to each other).

In english: If you have lots of same color (blue water for example) in your picture. It takes less space to save it in jpeg format.

Hope this cleared things out :)

mnj1233:
Hey on this note about file size. I found a very nice Image Reducer Tool for XP and after installation all that you need to do is "Right Click" the file select Small Medium or Large and its done. Very sweet for uploading to the board. Ive used other resizers but they were so time consuming.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Thanks, the imiage resizer for xp was exactly what i needed (photoshop takes too long to open up and resize with)...

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

Mnj1233,

I was baffled about the file size and was wondering if there is someway I could reduce the file size. Thanks for the tip. The tool is sooo... COOL!

I took one of my photo (768KB) and resized it to small (44KB), medium (60KB) and large (84KB). I didn't upload it onto the web but did not see any noticeable change in quality on my screen with the reduction in file size. :)

The best part is, it's so easy to use!

Thank you so much...

Back
Top Bottom