Photo Equipment, puppies, Elvis and how much money should you spend on equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still have my Brownie, had since I was like 5 years old. It was a birthday present. Came with big flash bulbs.

I was thinking:

ThisThreadIsWorthless.jpg

I take "pichers" and any accidental art, craft, purtiness and other positive qualities that might occasionally be represented by my pichers are strictly accidental luck and in no way reflect any skill on my part and I hope it shows.

N

If the proof is in the pudding, I think all we have to do is take a quick look at the two combatant's posted pictures. I think Mark obviously has both better technique, as well as composes artfull photographs (not just snapshots). Aussiebyron, your work speaks volumes, and your comments are spot on!

Really, You mean Aussiebyron's tiny 54 images he has? There is a reason they are postage stamp size, many are out of focus.

He does dive in lovely water, with some really neat looking animals, and he does have several technics down really well.

Problem is, there are dozens if not hundreds of other technics he does not use. I actually like some of his images...but they all lack a natural look to them..and all have that artificial color saturation. I understand it is a method of making cool looking images, but it is truly the most over done method used.

Just for the record, I mostly post trip report images on Scuba Board... you will find them all attached to a dive report. The objective is to make the images look as natural as possible. Vis usually is around 20 ft.. sometimes better, sometimes much worse.

I also do a lot of fish ID images...now there is some serious techic shooting.

Commercial images I don't post, but come on over and will be happy to show you.

I see you spend time in florida, well if you come over to the gulf coast, bring your camera...shooting images in 90ft of water with 5 ft of vis should be easy for you. I'll be happy to cover your trip, and we can both post our images afterwards..

I find Puffer's post quite on target.

In golf, skeet, rifle shooting, pistol shooting, skiing . . . on and on, there are always people that keep buying 'better and better' equipment, instead of learning to shoot / play what they have well.

Good thoughts.

My point has nothing to do with what equipement one uses. It how someone (Puffer) tells everyone about their experience but never actually shows that they have.

Its a bit like a Golf expert but has a high handicap. Rifle/pistol shooter that tells you how to shoot but can't shoot themself. Ski instructor that can not ski on the advanced slopes.

Regards Mark

Excellent point. You cannot, unless the photographer states.

If a photographer states: "Look at my sun burst image"...well you know it is just a craft image.

If someone starts by describing the camera, the lens, and the strobes, you know if is a craft image.

I posted, at the beginning of this thread, an image of two divers.. it was for a scuba class... clearly just a craft image.

The grey area was the nudibranch image...that was an image to show the effect of the gulf oil spill (part of a whole series of images). The oil and surfactant sank to the bottom, killing lots of small fish and shrimp...then algae grew on it, and the nudibranchs thrived on the algae. The objective of the image was to capture both the algae and the feeding nudibranchs..

Is that art? Don't know, I was trying to communicate something, so it is clearly not a craft image. But is photo journalism art?

Regarding who gets to define art. I guess in the "me" generation, everyone can make up their own definition, but there are some common threads thru history that would rather limit the options. I don't think anyone that sees the statue of David the first time says "wow, nice marble carving craft", or looks at the Mona Lisa and says "Great use of red iron oxide". So the instant one sees an image and thinks "nice lighting" or "nice composition", it is now a craft image.

I don't know if you have seen the original of this, but please take a second to look at it:

1993.49.3_1a.jpg

I know this image really well, it is the one we had to reproduce in a class.

To be honest, knowing how it was done, in this small size it looks over processed.. it does not in a larger size with greater dynamic range.

It is two 4 x 5 images put together with a ton of very crafty work done to make it look like that.

Just making all the tools to dodge the print took almost a day.

The objective was to make an image that looked dramatic and larger then life...it is filled with all sorts of technic's, but I have never heard anyone looking at it even mention it. I think that is the difference between art and craft.

Nothing wrong with craft images, they can have more value that a lot of well thought out art images. They are easier to understand and for most people, are something they can relate to. The issue is not the images, it is the people that shoot them and believe every image taken should look like that. Subtle play of lighting, delicate balance between strobes and natural lighting are all killed in favor of a single point of view.

I'm with Bill on this. Maybe I'm not smart enough to understand, but I do know what I like and what I don't like. Whether it is "art" or not then is really somewhat irrelevant.

However, what still is somewhat at odds in my mind is that if "art is in the eye of the beholder", how is it possible for one to define what is art and what isn't.

"Back to the issue of how you know if it is art, it starts with the photographer taking that image to say something...if it is just a picture using a method or of something big, it is not art"

When you label something as not "art", you are assuming then it is not trying to convey a message, and is just to illustrate a method or technique. How do you know that it is not trying to convey a message? Since each individual has his or her own interpretation of any image and what that image might convey or represent, who is to say it is "art" or not "art"?

You also allude to those with credentials being the ones to define art. "I would never say I know the answer, but I do know how Minor and Edward Weston and Ansel Adams defined it, it unless someone with better credentials comes up with a better definition, will use that."

Does that mean that unless you have credentials you're not able or as qualified to define art? If art is truly in the eye of the beholder, credentials would be irrelevant as each individual would decide for him or herself.

Maybe someone more trained in art can clear this up. I clearly do not have the credentials.

Really, You mean Aussiebyron's tiny 54 images he has? There is a reason they are postage stamp size, many are out of focus.

He does dive in lovely water, with some really neat looking animals, and he does have several technics down really well.

Problem is, there are dozens if not hundreds of other technics he does not use. I actually like some of his images...but they all lack a natural look to them..and all have that artificial color saturation. I understand it is a method of making cool looking images, but it is truly the most over done method used.

Just for the record, I mostly post trip report images on Scuba Board... you will find them all attached to a dive report. The objective is to make the images look as natural as possible. Vis usually is around 20 ft.. sometimes better, sometimes much worse.

I also do a lot of fish ID images...now there is some serious techic shooting.

Commercial images I don't post, but come on over and will be happy to show you.

I see you spend time in florida, well if you come over to the gulf coast, bring your camera...shooting images in 90ft of water with 5 ft of vis should be easy for you. I'll be happy to cover your trip, and we can both post our images afterwards..

If you havnt seen in a previous post I actually made reference to my Flickr site which I have provided the link to below every post i have made.

I have currently posted 6,405 images in large size for anyone to look at. I dont believe that any are out of focus. I have had my flickr I think for close to 3 years and current have 116,000 views.

But of course the readers of this post can see for themselves as I have nothing to hide and I am proud of what I shoot. I am also willing to try and help others which want to shoot similar subjects or technics and I always try and show my own examples.

Regards Mark

"So the instant one sees an image and thinks "nice lighting" or "nice composition", it is now a craft image."

I am not taking sides in this little contest, but in all your posts you have comments such as that. To me, as a person interested in photography, most of the time when I begin to process an image in my mind I start with technique then move on to the more "artistic" aspects of the image. So I am more than likely to think "ahh...nice use of the available light or strobes", then realize there is much more to the image than just technique after really looking at it.

Blanket statements like that without at least saying that it is your opinion are a bit of a turn off to me.

1993.49.3_1a.jpg

So......., is this picture 'art' or 'craft'?

Took me a long time following all the discussions, and it seems I am too stupid to understand all the essentials.

So, it is an art of craft using expensive (I assume) 4X5 camera and stitch the photos and apply a full day's darkroom work to produce? I don't get the points.

Puffer at the start of this thread you state the following:

Art is presenting an image that communicates something from one person to another. That is it.

So to take an art photograph the photographer first has to be trying to communicate something.

Art truly is in the eye of the beholder... so one persons communication may not ever reach anyone....and that is the difference between being average and being great.

I believe that anyone can use whatever medium, technique, camera, lens, style, editing process, lighting, to create an image. But its the final image which makes the difference.

The photographer can say "Hey have a look at my wide angle fish photo taken on my xyz camera with xyz lens with xyz strobe etc etc etc". It is then up to then the viewer of that image (the eye of the beholder) and only them to make a judgement of that image means to them personally.

The viewer might get the feeling that the photographer might be trying to communicate something to them. They might even get a emotional reaction from just viewing the image. The view might find the image pleasing to their eye and be simply beautiful to them.

If the eye of the beholder recieves a reaction like this I would say that the image is artistic. It doesnt matter what, how, where, whom it was told to the viewer in its creation. Its the emotional reaction, communication, aesthetics effect of the final image which makes all the difference.

Would a Artisitc image be devalued and called a craft work if the photographer simply stated "I took this photo on my Box Brownie" or explained how they took the image at a later date.

I dont think so.

Regards Mark

Just for the record, I mostly post trip report images on Scuba Board... you will find them all attached to a dive report.
Well you have no worries about showing us your work and techniques with your trip report images then.

I also do a lot of fish ID images...now there is some serious techic shooting. Well it would interesting to see this serious technique style of shooting and examples of it

Commercial images I don't post. I dont mind if you resize for computer monitor or even copywrite them. They must be really good that your afraid that people will copy them.

Regards Mark

Craft vs. Art: ok I get that and I think it is an evolution that everyone who sticks with this undertaking goes through. For me part of the "art" is having the tech knowledge and diving skills to capture photos that maybe less fit, less experienced diver/photogs cannot.

I read this quote and thought "yes!" applies to "Artists" that know their "Craft": The mark of a true professional is to come back with the perfect execution of a preconceived idea... (John Batin)

So here would be my attempt at an "Art" shot, but if my "Craft" was stronger it could have been better.

4521649707_61ae6700e1_o.jpg

Since you put yourself out there I looked at a lot of your photos and honestly I don't see a lot of "creativity". Very little unique lighting, unique perspectives, bluntly IMHO many of your shots are what I consider fish ID shots or "See my buddy" shots.

Eye of the Beholder: H*#% Yes! I recently had 2 dozen photos up in the lunch room at the local Aquarium where I volunteer. I had a sheet out so people could rank their favorite 3. Of course none of the photos I loved (well light diver/sunball/landscapes) made the cut.

As for better gear. Sure most of us need to work on the "Art" side more but if there was not an evolution in tools we would still be using charcoal on cave walls.

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom