photo damage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
After spending the month of june diving in Raotan and Belize i come home with a very negitive feeling towards most people with underwater cameras . Do people think that because they are taking a picuter that it is ok to push others out of the way . Do they think that the coral they are wreaking is not a problem , if these people contiune on with what i watched we will have some very poor dive site to pass on to future divers .
Maybe one of the best things to talk about in your forums is proper manors and proper diving skills before the camera goes underwater . To the divers that do a great job of working underwater , please take the time to pass on your ways and help other , maybe they will listen to you .

Northern:

Welcome to Scubaboard. I agree that the problem you describe exists, but it is certainly not unique to underwater photographers. Anyone who uses a camera on this forum can tell stories about divers cutting in front of the perfect shot, photographers being bumped and pushed, and “regular divers” who lack buoyancy control and kick, stand on or drag equipment across the reef. I watched a diver throw his weightbelt into a camera rinse bucket much to the distress of the divers who had camera gear in it.

You need to reframe the debate. It is not “camera divers” versus “the rest of us” but “responsible divers” vs. “slob divers”. You will find both represented among underwater photographers, divers who spear fish, and those that just sight see.

So, how do you politely steer those divers who have some environmental skills to learn into the proper behavior, without getting combative? Granted, some people never learn; but I believe the vast majority of divers want to be listed in the “responsible” category.

—Bob

ScubaBOBuba:
Northern:

Welcome to Scubaboard. I agree that the problem you describe exists, but it is certainly not unique to underwater photographers. Anyone who uses a camera on this forum can tell stories about divers cutting in front of the perfect shot, photographers being bumped and pushed, and “regular divers” who lack buoyancy control and kick, stand on or drag equipment across the reef. I watched a diver throw his weightbelt into a camera rinse bucket much to the distress of the divers who had camera gear in it.

You need to reframe the debate. It is not “camera divers” versus “the rest of us” but “responsible divers” vs. “slob divers”. You will find both represented among underwater photographers, divers who spear fish, and those that just sight see.

So, how do you politely steer those divers who have some environmental skills to learn into the proper behavior, without getting combative? Granted, some people never learn; but I believe the vast majority of divers want to be listed in the “responsible” category.

—Bob

Well put Bob!
I love taking UW pictures. However, a picture (more the chance for a picture) is NOT worth reef damage or pushing anyone or thing out of the way for it!!

If we offer ourselves up a good examples of diving etiquette and hope others follow then we have at least made the situation a tad bit better.

Also, FYI, there's a web site around here (in another thread) that has the same complaint and a list of "golden Rules" of sorts...

But, agree, it's not really the equipment, but the diver using them.. One should have their buoyancy under control first, before even trying to do something else.. photo/video whatevers..., but I see it all the time... discouraging to say the least..

Yes Bob, well put!
As the others have said, when beginners post we usually suggest that they be comfortable UW and have good buoyancy control first before they multi task. Some take the advice and others don't... In the end, it is up to the other person to accept the advice. Is there really anything more that we can do than pass it on?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom