Philippines trip planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey all!

I am trying to plan a trip for my wife and I for Jan 2020. We are both fairly experienced divers (AOW and DM certs). Our diving has been almost exclusively in the Caribbean. Our most recent trip was to Bali (shoutout to OK Divers- they were amazing). We really enjoyed not only the different diving in SE Asia but also the fun of traveling to the other side of the world and seeing new cultures etc..

We have been looking at another Pacific/Asia trip and are honing in on the Philippines. We'd like to go for ~ 10 days. Ideally, we would stay at 2 different locations. We aren't huge into muck diving or macro photography (which I hear is a strength of the Philippines). We don't take pictures, aside from occasional gopro stuff. We really enjoy reef diving. We would love to see the thraeshers and whale sharks. When not diving, we pretty much just hang by the pool and sip cocktails and eat food.

Anyone have any recommendations on a couple locations we could do that would fulfill these aspects? I don't know a whole lot about the Philippines, so any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi,

10 days on 2 locations is a doable schedule from my experience. We once spent 5 days in Anilao, followed by 5 days in Ticao Island, it worked very well. It depends of course on the locations: Anilao is on the coast of Batangas, it's a 3 hours drive from/to Manila, no boat transfers required. From Manila there are frequent flights to Legazpi, and from there you need a 2 hours road transfer and a short boat trip to Ticao Island. Both places are kind of complementary in character: Anlilao is a well-known place for its macro and coral life, Ticao is more of a secretive place, you can see huge Manta Rays and sometimes whale sharks. Ticao Island and the resort there are as authentic as it gets: all is made of bamboo and wood, cottages are on the beach, food (full board!) is tasty, staff is very friendly, horses roam free and you can watch them clean the beach from coconuts and leaves with a buffalo-pulled cart! The dives were truly memorable, on every dive we saw giant Manta rays (much bigger than the usual Manta Alfredi), we loved it there! There is also a typical reef there, "San Miguel", named like the beer (best beer in Asia, by the way ;-)), but the main attraction is the Mantas. You need a bit of luck as usual with these creatures, they may not always show up and we were told currents can be strong, too. When we were there, it was all calm, and we saw Mantas on every dive. Maybe you give my little movie a check (JayDyver is my youtube name)

I'd say a combination like this is a bit special, if you want "guaranteed" good dives, then I would recommend Puerto Galera, the reefs there are very diverse, intact and simply huge, and there is also good macro life. Anilao is just 30 minutes away on the coast, but I wouldn't combine them, they're simply too similar, so either PG or Anilao. For the 2nd leg you could consider Malapascua, because it's different, it's more about soft corals and the thresher sharks. Malapascua however suffered damage during the massive typhoon in 2013, some dive sites simply don't have a reef roof anymore.

I personally would prefer Bohol (spared from the typhoon just like PG or Anilao) with overall good diving in Panglao and Cabilao, and it also offers great land attractions, probably the best throughout the Philippines: the chocolate hills, the rice terraces, water falls, caves, Anda beach and of course the smallest primate on the planet - the Tarsier - makes it all together very interesting (ok.....you only have 5 days....). You can reach Bohol through Manila and through Cebu (by ferry).

Hope this helps a bit!

Cheers,

Juergen

Thanks everyone! This has been really helpful.

One last question --> does anyone have any insight on when (eg how far ahead) to get the best deal on airfare to the phillipines? Will be flying out of Dallas.

Thanks!

Airfare from USA: hit or miss, up until the last minute. Not sure what the efficiencies are out of Dallas but monitor the prices so you know when a good deal comes around. When you buy don't look back (you may later find a better deal and regret your choice). I usually choose to pay marginally more on Cathay Pacific because of the non stop from BOS to HKG, putting SE Asia on the doorstep after a usually short and relaxing layover in HKG. The airport itself, though no SIN, is top notch. Avoid the low priced budget Chinese carriers - from all reports it's a miserable experience.
For diving - consider the Moalboal/Dauin(Dumaguete) combo. Easy transit between the 2 places which you can easily do yourself, and between one and the other you will miss only the morning dives. In Dauin you will want to make the day trip over to Apo Island at least once. With your limitations and wishes I think this option covers all your bases efficiently.

Airfare from USA: hit or miss, up until the last minute. Not sure what the efficiencies are out of Dallas
(AA flies a code share with Cathay non-stop Dallas to Hong Kong to Cebu (or Manila) but it requires an overnight in Hong Kong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom