Philippines recommendations, please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3 resorts?

Scandi divers could be a good option for you as well. I have never stayed there, but I'm familiar with Big La Laguna. There are only three resort properties there, Scandi Divers, Campbell's, and another which I cannot remember the name of.

If I recall, the beach is cleaner at Big La Laguna. Sabang beach is quite busy with banka(boat) traffic and the beach is kind of dirty because it's kind of "part of the town". Not the sort of beach where you want to lay out n relax. For beach relaxing, I recommend Big La Laguna, White Beach, or run a banka out to Long Beach.

I have made several trips over the last 2 years and will be going back to Sabang in July. Many good options to choose for accommodations and dive operations. It all depends on what you like etc. Check out trip advisor for recent reviews regarding the resorts like El Galeon, etc. I personally prefer the smaller dive operators as opposed to the bigger one's like Asia Divers just because I like small groups of 3-5 divers including the DM. Whereas the larger operators boats go out with 10 -12 divers. I have also found some great AirBnb places i.e studio apartments (40 USD/night) within a 5 minute walk to like Action divers or even Asia Divers, There are many restaurants to eat at in Sabang so if full board is not important you will be fine.

I agree that Atlantis, although it is a nice place, is over the top for costs when compared to anyone there. Ok you can get 5 dives a day (inclusive) but let me ask anyone after a couple of days are you really going to be doing 5 dives every day? The only time they were competitive was this July (slower season) were offering 30% off which brought the cost down considerably. if your going to splurge on where you stay the nicest place there is Out of the Blue resort. I had stayed there last year and it is first class place with one of the best restaurants in the area.

If you choose to ala-carte your dives I recommend Action Divers a few minutes up the beach from El Galeon. Dives cost is around 28 USD which I believe is pretty much the going rate per dive in Sabang.

Last but not least plan on bringing plenty of cash as the ATM in Sabang ...yes there is one...if up and down for money withdrawals. The next closest is in Puerto Galera and it is 15 min trike ride but if this is your first time you probably may want to stay close. There is a money changer on the main street in Sabang so exchanging USD is very easy...and the rate is like 98% of the market so very little markup.

+1 Divenut

That is a great point regarding group sizes. Asia Divers can get busy, so dive boats can certainly fill up. Of course that all depends on Time of Year and even day(s) of the week. Whereas the smaller dive ops often take smaller groups. What you decide regarding a la carte or package and group size is entirely up to you, your skill level, and your preference. But there are so many options, you will have no trouble getting setup.

Definitely take Divenut's advice on taking cash to PG/Sabang. There are actually 2 ATMs in Sabang, and one on Puerto Galera. One is at Big Apple, the other is inside of the bank up he hill on the road in/out of Sabang. *When* they're working, the ATMs frequently run out of money. The hotel operations can accept credit cards, but most small businesses do not.

Best option is to hit the ATM in Manila or Batangas on your way. Max withdrawal per transaction is usually P10,000, but some are P20,000. Or support thr local Changers. As Divenut said, their rates are reasonable. I would like to add that they help stimulate the local economy rather than corporate banks :thumb:

I would also add that before leaving your home country, that you inform your bank about where you are traveling to and you may be using ATMs and payments via credit card in the Philippines.

There are actually 2 ATMs in Sabang, and one on Puerto Galera. One is at Big Apple

The one at Big Apple.. is inside their restaurant.. or where?

It is beyond the bar/restaurant, between their check in counter and dive shop. Potentially for hotel guests only? I only discovered it when I stayed a few night there, about 5 months ago. It was either empty or Out of Order at the time, go figure LOL.

Last edited:
Hi, looking for hotels for upcoming August trip. I am interested in Out of the Blue and I see you have stayed there before. I believe it is right next door to La Laguna Villas which I stayed at last year. While I loved that place, my room was 92 steps up and that got really annoying after a while. How did this compare to Out of the Blue? Was it a long walk up? El Galeon rooms look very small and dated for the price.

Hi, looking for hotels for upcoming August trip. I am interested in Out of the Blue and I see you have stayed there before. I believe it is right next door to La Laguna Villas which I stayed at last year. While I loved that place, my room was 92 steps up and that got really annoying after a while. How did this compare to Out of the Blue? Was it a long walk up? El Galeon rooms look very small and dated for the price.

There are some steps from the ground level to some of the rooms. I stayed in a poolside suite which was just above the pool and just a few steps. The restaurant is about 3 flights of steps and is like the midpoint. To go the larger suites and rooms it is another hike from the restaurant level so going to the 2 br villas might be similar to La Laguna. If you don't need the larger villas I would say the hike to the rooms could be a short as a few steps to a 2-3 flights of stairs. I would recommend the poolside suites large room, very comfortable. Let me know any questions

Quick question!

Do ya'll fell safe traveling to the Philippines? Its on my soon to do list (or hopefully), but have been warned a lot about safety, terrorism, kidnapping etc. Coming from US

Back
Top Bottom