Philippines or Thailand for Beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjgoodman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,
IÃÎ a new diver blessed with 3 weeks (Nov 29 Dec 20th) to go anywhere I want before meeting up with a group in Makassar to dive in Raja Ampat. The plan was to stay in Indonesia but the weather worries me. If IÃÎ going to spend the money I want the diving to be great. Thus, IÃÎ looking into either Thailand or the Philippines.

How would you compare diving in Thailand to the Philippines?

IÃÎ leaning toward the Philippines because itÃÔ less touristy and much cheaper (is this correct?).

It appears that most of the great Thailand sites are only reseached by liveaboards. Any thought would be great! Thank you.

It all depends on the site and locations. For the sites I dove in Philippines and Thailand, I would say that Thailand is better suited for beginners. This is because most of the Philippine sites that I dove had current, and while not dangerous, it makes diving more difficult.

The best sites in Thailand and Philippines are only reached by liveaboards.

The best sites in Thailand and Philippines are only reached by liveaboards.
I agree that a liveaboard is more comfortable, but daytrips to Similans are possible from Phuket and Khao Lak, and also Richelieu Rock is possible from Khao Lak.

Also sites like Hin Daeng and Hin Muang can easily be reached by daytrip, and are as single divesites IMO on par with Similans etc.

Thank you for the correction.

You might want to consider diving around Manado and then flying across the island to Makasser. I haven't been to Raja Ampat, but one of my dive buddies indicated she encountered strong currents there. I'd suggest you try to figure out how to get some progressive current experience to get used to strong currents. I dove in the Manado area with Two Fish Divers 2 years ago, same time frame as you are proposing, the weather was great. They had facilities in the Lembeh and Bunaken areas. Quite reasonably priced. There is a board member Alan xxxx who dives with them seemingly every year, he's also based out of California, you might contact him directly. For Philippine info try posting this on the PPD section.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom