Philippines or Thailand for Beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjgoodman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,
IÃÎ a new diver blessed with 3 weeks (Nov 29 Dec 20th) to go anywhere I want before meeting up with a group in Makassar to dive in Raja Ampat. The plan was to stay in Indonesia but the weather worries me. If IÃÎ going to spend the money I want the diving to be great. Thus, IÃÎ looking into either Thailand or the Philippines.

How would you compare diving in Thailand to the Philippines?

IÃÎ leaning toward the Philippines because itÃÔ less touristy and much cheaper (is this correct?).

I have a general idea of the places I want to go but donÃÕ know the best dive centers or how much time to spend at each place. IÃÎ more interested in the bigger stuff (I think) and wall diving.

My plan was to focus on Visayas and maybe a trip to Coron for the wrecks. Here were the places I want go:
Bohol (Cabilao=Hammerheads)
South Leyte
Ceibu (Malapascua =Thrashers and Manta/Apo/Moalboal

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great!! Thank you

my 2 cents? philippines... for one thing we speak english hehehehe

seriously though, yeah, diving can be pretty inexpensive - the spots you've lined up charge around US$20 per dive although packaged deals can get you discounts - just arrange that with your dive op

anilao with a group can get you diving for as low as US$10 per dive... but you'll need another 4-5 people on your boat

either way, it's hard to go wrong in the philippines

Jag

Philippines of course!!!
But i must warn you; You are going to be spoiled!! You may not want to dive anywhere else. :D:D:D

:DDon't ya just love PPD'ers!!!:D

Philippines of course!!!
But i must warn you; You are going to be spoiled!! You may not want to dive anywhere else. :D:D:D

Just to let you know, the hammerheads in Cabilao have unfortunately been fished out. You won't be seeing them anymore.

If it's big fish you want to see, put Balicasag Island, Bohol on your list. You can get there in 20 mins from Alona Beach, Bohol.

I have noticed a decline in our hammerhead population as well. I am beginning to think that the shark fin fishermen are sneaking into our area too. I wish the buying the would stop so that the killing can too.

I have noticed a decline in our hammerhead population as well. I am beginning to think that the shark fin fishermen are sneaking into our area too. I wish the buying the would stop so that the killing can too.

Don't worry Bady D, humans are reasonable beings. The finning will eventually stop... When the isn't a shark left in the sea!!! :shocked2::shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:

Hi mjgoodman,

I was just in Phuket for a day dive to Racha Yai and joined a 4n/4d liveaboard to the Similans/Surin. Racha Yai is an easy dive for beginners, while the currents could sometimes be quite strong in the Similans/Surin... could be because of the full moon.

I have also done some diving in the Phiippines, in Anilao, Puerto Galera, Moalboal and Bohol. I'm actually heading there now, and still debating whether to dive Coron or Dumaguete.

From what I have seen, I would agree that the Philippines is less touristy than Phuket. I've found the diving itself cheaper in the Philippines, and in general accomodations are cheaper too (but it really depends on what star accomodation you end up choosing. For most of the places I've been to in the Philippines, the dive sites are fairly close to your hotel, so a banca (small boat) will take you out for a dive and you come back to the dive shop for your surface interval. In Phuket, the day trip I did to Racha Yai was a full day thing, and you're on a big day boat that takes about 2 hours to the divesite from the pier, and they serve you breakfast and lunch.

For the diving itself, I didn't see any big stuff at Racha Yai (I didn't expect it... this is where new divers are taken for their open water dives), but I did get to see some sting rays and leopard sharks at the Similans. As an overall impression, I've found the coral reefs in the Philippines to be more colourful, but there were some sites in Thailand (like Richelieu Rock in Surin) that was simply amazing. Either way, you won't go wrong.

Hope this helps.

Oh dear :popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom