Philippines or Sipidan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YCW:
Now budget airline Air Asia flies cheap direct from Kuala Lumpur to Tawau. The only thing to watch out for when flying with them is their strict 15kg limit check-in luggage policy. That should save you some traveling time.
Yes, Air Asia and diving, I just found out the 'hard way' with dive luggage, all the sweet talking in the world did not work. My first flight from Bangkok to Singapore I was able to 'talk them out of' as it was late and she was sweet! But got burned from Johor Bahru to KL and from KL to Bangkok, the price you pay for a cheap airline. I was still able to negoiate a small reduction in the extra charge, as I was carrying 26 kg. (11kgs above the limit). Otherwise AirAsia.com is the way to go!

tboxcar:
). Otherwise AirAsia.com is the way to go!

I would be quite careful with them. Although travelled now 3 times with them, but:

1) Price is not so attractive if you do not book 3 months ahead. Difference to MAS, TG or PI is then close to nil

2) Luggage weight may kill you if you travel heavy

3) Flights are hardly on time and can be cancelled without early info. If you want to catch a long-haul connecting flight, they give a **** if you arrive too late. No through check!

4) Seat space is for dwarfs. It's below 50 cm. To suffer this little space for 30 or 40 min is ok, but on a 3 hour flight - be prepared!

5) Entertainment, drinks, food: NIL. On my last flight they even didn't sell any coffe, but Sarsi only. Yak! Pack your own lunchbox!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6) Travel light on board - because you have to run once boarding is announced to get
a reasonable seat.

7) If you have to change your schedule you are due to heavy fines. With normal carriers you can just change as you like, provided they have seats.

If you get one ot the very cheap tikets, it's ok. But otherwise look at the normal air lines.

piet2do:
Now, if you look at the new stilt-resorts around Sipadan, you have no other choice then being trapped at this "pirate"=places (Sabahan's ancestors were the most famos pirates in the region, but ventured now into tourist biz ): food mediocre, entertainment nil, beer and wine a rip-off....but well, the diving is great, yes.

Well, Sabah and southern Philippines, aren't they in the same region? Why one of them are "pirates" and one of them are not?

And by reading from the news lately, which one is the piracy kidnapping originate from?

I do agree. Air Asia can be a real pain when it comes to excessive luggage. I have seen many cases before, what more with divers like us who tend to carry a lot of equipment.

All I can say is, the airline is great, with occasional cheap prices, but just be wary about the luggage.

I have just returned from diving in Sharm El Sheikh. You don't have to be worry, it seems to be the safest place on the earth now.

Cheers,
Sebastian.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom