Philippines itinerary help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waingro

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone,
I am from Italy and I am planning a 15-16 night vacation to the Philippines for the next xmas holidays (december/january).

I am relatively new to diving (AOW certified with around 60 dives, I have been diving in Australia and Egypt during my last holidays).
I got some important info about Philippines diving sites reading this forum (thank you to all of you) and at the moment I am considering to stay in the Visayas.
Since the Philippines are a long trip from home... I would like to plan a possibly "relaxing" diving trip (not too much time travelling from place to place...) so I need to know if 15-16 nights are enough to enjoy diving in the following 3 areas: Dumaguete/Apo Island, Malapascua and Moalboal Cebu.
If not, what do you recommend to skip?
As this will be my first diving trip in the Philippines, the main "purpose" is trying to taste a little bit of everything like reef, coral, wall dives, wrecks, muck diving, sharks (strong current diving and cave dives not my cup of tea).
I am a solo traveller, not tight on budget (but I am not 5 star hotel guy either...) and used to basic accomodation/transportation.
Last question about the dive gear: I would like to bring my own gear. Is it doable or can be a problem if moving from different dive location?
If so, what about renting: equipment-rental is expensive? Any risk to dive with obsolete/old/damaged gear?
Thanks,
Mauro

Perhaps you could look at Sea Explorers safari packages out of Cebu. They have resorts/ dive ops in all the locations you mention, plus others. They set up a custom package for me. They'll coordinate the transportation between sites. I thought the resort accomodations were all above average.
I'd add Alona Beach and/ or Cabilao over Moalboal.

I agree, I'd add Alona Beach (Bohol) and skip Moalboal. Dive safari might be a good idea for you. I travel to the Philippines solo and its easy to arrange your own transportation between sites. I prefer to be on my own schedule.

Getting around is not that hard. Taxis are cheap. Porters can help at bus stations etc for a small fee if you really have lots.

I'd recommend Malapascua and Dauin with an option on Bohol. I'd also give Moalboal a miss. The OceanJet ferry is the easiest way to get to Dumaguete / Dauin so its easy to organise. it also stops in Bohol so you can add a few days there. To get to Malapascua you need to either pay for a private trip of just get the local Ceres Bus to Maya and a local Pump Boat to the island.

Liquid is a great spot in Dauin to base yourself and obviously Evolution in Malapascua gets my vote!

1. Cebu to Tagbilaran(Alona Beach) is under 3hrs by fast ferry(Ocean Jet or 2GO).
2. Tagbilaran to Dumaguete is another 3hrs by ferry.
3. Cebu to Maya by public bus is 3-4 hrs, the short crossing is another 30-45mins(+ waiting time, best in the morning). Private transfer is about P4,500.00(wow) each way!!!!!!
4. There is a combined boat and bus trip from Dumaguete to Cebu calling at Moalboal. The beach is a short tricycle ride(P70.00).
5. Bring your own equipment because you never need to walk very far.
6. Washing and drying(equipment) is a bit tedious if you have to do it every 2-3 days.

I agree with Centrals...Contact Seaquest Dive Centers,they have 3 nice locations.
Dive safe,Have fun!

"Living life without a hard bottom"
KT

I am in agreement with the others to opt for Alona Beach rather than Moalboal. Which airport to you arrive at in the Philippines?

1. Arrive Cebu - taxi to Malapascua - dive - back to Cebu - ferry to Bohol and Alona Beach - dive - ferry to Dumaguette dive Dauin and Apo - dive - Ferry back to Cebu.

2. Arrive Manila - fly to Cebu and itinerary above with flight back to Manila from Dumaguette or you could reverse the order. Keep in mind there are only a few Manila to Dumaguette flights where there are more flights and flexibility between Cebu and Manila.

I have dived a these sites in pairs but not all three within two weeks. It depends on your travel style - I prefer a little more relaxed itinerary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom