Philippines experiments...trying to be more creative, opinions welcome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh

Contributor
Reaction score
So played around a little more this trip, shallow depths of fields. Using a snoot, much harder than expected. Just trying to play with lighting more. Comments welcome.

http://
6488790531_3826486eed_b.jpg

6488790777_b11a3731c2_b.jpg

http://
6488790935_e6f0804aa7_b.jpg

Last edited:
If using WYSIWYG editor, click on the button/icon for 'Insert Image' and upload the photos directly or link to a hosted image online.

Otherwise, use the BB code: [IMG*]...[/IMG*] (remove the '*' to make it work)

very nice, thanks for the flash back to this summers trip to Apo Island and Dauin. Frog Fish and muck diving.......yum. great lighting on the anemone, and wide angle on the frog fish/diver in the background.

I think the anemone is quite nice. Using snoots for little stuff can make you crazy (maybe you have to be crazy to try it) but when you get it right it can be quite cool. To be overly critical, I think the warty would have been a lot more cool if you could have lit part of his face and none of the rock. Sort of like this but done only with a snoot. The porcelain crab needs again a very very tiny bit of illumination to be "different" than the 14 million porcelain crab pics we all have. Don't get me wrong these are very nice but I have just gotten finished looking at the LAUPS and other competition winners so I am a bit jaded.
Bill

try 1.jpg

bvanant, totally agree. I think at that point, for me anyways, you move to putting the snoot strobe on a tripod. This was taken with an Inon Z240, Inon snoot and the "large" tube. To get the spot light smaller you had to be so close you risked it being in the frame or with a little surge coming in contact with the creature. The pencil thin one I found impossible to hand hold and shoot while hovering, and even with the stobe on full power difficult to see in anything but dusk-night conditions. But as you said it would take them to the next level.

I almost always put my snooted strobes on a small tripod (gorillapod) and for most things the size of that frogfish you don't need to be too close.
How does the Inon snoot work, mine is home made.
Bill

I really enjoyed the Warty and the Anemone. I don't mind the light on the rocks at all, although lighting up the fish with a black background is certainly dramatic. Nice job, Martin.

I like the frogfish on the purple sponges, and "The Turtle's World".

I have friends who have been doing a lot of experimentation with snooting. It's been my reaction that when it works, it can produce magical effects, but often, the photos are not sufficiently different/better to justify the world that went into them. They also use a tripod system for the snoots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom