Philippines Critter...please help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Found this tiny crustacean on a dive in Subic Bay, Philippines. Anyone help me with identification please? :D

4610_90834063538_704398538_1834928_4916339_n.jpg

The entire album is here..Andy Davis's Photos - Scuba Diving Philippines 3 | Facebook

Kemponia cf tenuipes ?

I think Vie is right. It looks like Kemponia cf tenuipes. In case you try to look it up in crustacea books or online, it's worthwhile noting that long-armed shrimp previously classified in the Periclimenes genus have been reclassified to the Kemponia genus, so do try looking under both the "new" name Kemponia cf tenuipes and the "old" one Periclimenes cf tenuipes.

What's this "cf" business? Is that a notation for subspecies or something? (In my defense of ignorance, my systematic botany/zoology training was in the 60's :) )
Rick

What's this "cf" business? Is that a notation for subspecies or something? (In my defense of ignorance, my systematic botany/zoology training was in the 60's :) )
Rick

Well, it's used when there's some doubt whether a species is a variation of an already named/identified species or is indeed distinct from it. The uncertainty is noted by way of adding "cf" to the name of the species to which it is compared. So in this instance (Andy's shrimp), it may be the case that this shrimp is a variation of the species tenuipes or it may be the case that it's a separate species.

Well, it's used when there's some doubt whether a species is a variation of an already named/identified species or is indeed distinct from it. The uncertainty is noted by way of adding "cf" to the name of the species to which it is compared. So in this instance (Andy's shrimp), it may be the case that this shrimp is a variation of the species tenuipes or it may be the case that it's a separate species.
Graci prego!
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom