Phi Phip, Krabi, Phuket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok I'm on the home stretch for my divemaster course. It's only 6 days until I fly into Krabi. My plan all along has been to do my dm with Moskito divers on Phi Phi but the guest houses there are expensive in January so I'm having last minute doubts. When I travel to SEA I usually stay in places that cost $5-$10 a night with $10 on the very high end. I think Phi Phi might have some budget accommodations but I hear they're pretty elusive.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that many of Phi Phi's dive sites are the same ones that the shops in Krabi and Phuket use. Yes? But because actually being on Phi Phi means being closer, I should get a chance to see the more interesting ones more often and it should be a shorter boat ride. This is my logic. Anyway, my question is: can anyone tell me why I should consider Krabi or any other place on the Adaman? I'd like to save a few bucks on guesthouses but not if it means my diving is going to suffer. If I'm going to spend a month in one place, I'll fork out the extra cash for the better experience.

The diving around Krabi is OK but not inspiring. Phi Phi has its own diving and the fact it is further out tends to mean that you get better vis than around either Phuket or Krabi. The dive sites of Anemone Reef/King Cruise/Shark Point are slightly nearer Phi Phi than Phuket so the Phi Phi dive boats usually get there earlier. The dive sites at Hin Daeng and Hin Muang are not accessible from Phuket on a day trip but are from Phi Phi. So if the quality of the diving is your key criterion then Phi Phi is the place for you.

Having said that Phi Phi is a bit restrictive being a small island with just one centre. The dive shops operate a pricing cartel so no chance of shopping around for the best deal. Krabi and Phuket both offer much more variety.

Hope this helps.

Regards

my suggestion is Koh Lanta, just south of koh phi phi.

Great atmosphere, less touristic than PhiPhi.
Cheaper accomodation and great dive sites (closer to Hin Daeng hin Mueng.)

I heard a lot of good stories about the DM training at Lanta divers.

let me know if you need more info.

Philip

A friend of mine has just got back from Koh Lanta and hated the diving there - she was so diappointed, but then she is a perfectionist....

She said the trip to Hin Daeng was dreadful - over 3 hours in a crammed boat.

She is an instructor that has been around a bit - needless to say I would not go to Koh Lanta for the diving.

I really must get my report together - I've just got back from Phuket and thought the diving was great, but I was on a liveaboard which I think makes a big difference in that part of the world.

Having spent most of my life in London and now 2 years in Tokyo I really did not think Patang was that rowdy and load - just my opinion though.....

Jonathan

The boats based in Phi Phi are most small and slow. Even if Phi Phi is closer to King Cruiser/Anemone Reef/Shark Point the larger and speedier boats from Phuket are there at the same time. Why not join a few live aboards if you want to do some good diving? There are many cheap offers, especially if you ask around and try to find a last-minute offer.

maybe you can walk straight to the right from the Jetty at Phi Phi...all the way...past the various dive shops up a small hill along some shops...straight for about another ten minutes or so ...think a mosque or cemetry nearby they should be the cheapest so far something villa...cannot recall...was there and did check and stayed for two nights...don;t expect much from the accomodations there...food wise...not included usually. In fact it is better to go out for breakfast...it is cheap.

The best hotels (think best value for money) from my own point of view...just about there...rather stay at the mid range hotel just located between the jetty and start of the dive shops up a small hill to your left along the footpath along side shops.

Enjoy yourself!

philipbloem,

Where did you stay on Lanta (or did you stay in Trang). Which dive shop did you go with?

I'm thinking of going this spring and would appreciate any suggestions.

Anybody else been to Lanta?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom