Phi Phi Trip Report March 15-21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Susie

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Our group of 6 stayed at the Holiday Inn on Phi Phi. The resort was great and had a really nice pool too. The diving was not as great as I had anticipated secondary to some weird mirky stuff in the water. I guess it was effecting all of southeast Asia during March. So, needless to say, visibility was 15-30 feet at times. It was also during the new or 'black" moon so the tides were really large as were some of the currents. Our group was a really experienced dive group so the conditions were only disappointing and not really that challenging. The big disappointment lay with the resorts dive operations. H20 Sportz was kind of a loosely run ship. They really didn't give us a run down of when to be where or where to store our gear or anything and were a little miffed when we asked these basic questions. We were there while there was a group of 9 Italians so we had them operating at max capacity with 2 boats (one of which they had to get from Phuket with half fills on the tanks and a really bad dive boat). We had a DM the first 3 days who had only been a DM for 7 months and only 3 months at this resort. All of that would have been OK, I guess had he spoken English. With no real dive briefing before each dive, we had no idea if it was a drift dive, if there were currents or what. It got pretty frustrating and I actually ended up leading (and ending a dive which he tried to have us kick into the current 3/4 of the way thru the dive) one dive. We would surface and there was no boat to be found....for like 20 mins! If our group had been less experienced they would have freaked. I spoke to the head Instructor at the dive shop and he switched us up and had us diving with himself or another Instructor who spoke English, which helped a lot. Still, we would surface and the boat was no where to be found at times. While we know we are responsible for our own set-up and such, there were many times we would be about to do our giant strides off the back of the boat and one of us would holler at our buddy that their tank strap was undone or that the inflator hose was not hooked up to our BC's. The whole operation was a bit too layed back for the amount of money we were paying. I would give the whole operation a C- for overall performance. Still the guys were nice enough and bought us rounds of beer on our last night. The soft corals were very colorful and the critters were nce too. I am sure there was a very whale sharks there we just couldn't see 'em because of the poor viz! The ususal cast of charaters: lion fish, nudi's of every color,eels, spotted sweet lips, emperor angels, huge groupers, flat worms, sea snakes, a cool seahorse, mating cuttlefish (very awesome), leopard shark, black tips, nurse and a very neato free floating midwater octopus! Huge too!
If the viz had been better we probably would have enjoyed it more. But the fact that we were in warm water, diving and not working, is always a good day!
Thanks to all of you for your reports over the past year! They really help!
Now can you tell me more about diving at Wakatobi????? :)
Susie

Sorry to hear that. Realize you probably took a different approach than I did when I visited Phi Phi 5 years ago. I went to many of the dive shops the first day or two, talked to their managers and dive staff, asked questions, etc., before deciding which shop (it was Visa) to go with. There were several shops I got good feelings from, but Visa was the one I chose to do all my diving with the two weeks I was there. In fact, the manager (Simon) and I are still friends and in touch despite the fact he is now teaching in Beijing. Oh, the beautiful Dutch dive master who stole my heart may have had a little to do with my decision.

Agreed with DrBill. I refuse to let a recalcritant dive op ruin my holiday. Tho the Holiday Inn is in a remote part of the Phi Phi island and you may not have had a choice.

I stopped over at the Holiday Inn for lunch on a speedboat dive tour that did 2 dives + surface interval exploring Maya Bay + beer on the way back to Phuket. You should have joined us!

Traminer,
In no way did the H20 Sportz dive operations "ruin" my dive experience on Phi Phi. I was just saying, as a diver who has some experience, it wasn't the "best of show".
Sometimes it is good to know the "OK" from the "Fantastic", ya know? I very much enjoyed my diving on Phi Phi. I had never seen cuttle fish sex before :)
Happy Bubbles to all
Susie

Scuba Susie:
I very much enjoyed my diving on Phi Phi. I had never seen cuttle fish sex before :)
Susie

Darn, I couldn't get them to perform no matter how hard I tried when I was there. They just hovered in front of me and stared into my mask.

Thanks for the report, Susie. I knew you must have been here during our red tide mess, and I was actually disappointed *for* you even before you posted your report, LOL.

I've been to Wakatobi, and posted my own report about it here. I did a few days diving en route at Scuba Seraya on Bali, and I would highly recommend this combination. PM me if you have questions.

Back
Top Bottom