Phew!....First night dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Island Style

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone,

So, as a group of 6, we set off on a night dive to go lobster hunting out of Haleiwa this past Sunday/Monday at 12:01am....

Two of us were night newbies...the other 4 seasoned...

The dive all started with a local there telling us as we walked by to enter the water..."watch out for the great white sighted out there recently...I'm not joking..."

Ok, this is going to be fun...

Believe it or not...I took up diving to rid myself of the fear of the sea...sharks primarily... a year ago, I wouldn't be caught dead swimming 20' off the shoreline...now, look...I'm going diving 500 yards offshore in the middle of the night...

so anyhow, we geared up, entered the water, and started paddling out...what seemed like forever...we went out so far that the shore lights grew small and dim. As we approached our descent point, one of the divers called out..."hey you guys, I don't want to alarm anyone, but I think I saw a fin out of the corner of my eye"...alright, two comments about sharks...and guess what, I really didn't care...weird...

Anyhow, to make this story short...we saw lots of small regal lobsters...a slipper, but no spiny lobsters...it was a great experience to see fish sleeping in the cracks and crevices, all sorts of cleaner shrimp, and a very large sea turtle...it was sleeping on the bottom and someone had marked a number on it's shell...I think it said 512...

My friend and I didn't do so bad on air for our first night dive...I think our computers said...96minutes downtime with about 900psi left in our tanks...

Our only problem was that we surfaced and paddled in...getting confused on where we were suppose to land...we ended up about a half mile to the right of the boat harbor...getting to shore around a bunch of fisherman...they were cool and pointed us in the right direction...it was a fun night.

Glad you enjoyed your night dive!!! I always breathe better at night and always get more bottom time :)

Night dives ROCK! My first night dive was in the middle of nowhere with no way of communicating with anyone. Diving in a third world country has it's setbacks. The
last thing I saw was Orion and I made a little prayer before I descended. It all turned
out fine and I was hooked! Once again, Night dives ROCK!!!!!

So, as a group of 6, we set off on a night dive to go lobster hunting out of Haleiwa this past Sunday/Monday at 12:01am....

96minutes downtime with about 900psi left in our tanks...

Lobster Hunting?! Tanks?! Opening Night?! Please tell me it's not true!!!

WOW!!! 96min & 900 left in the bottle.... How deep 20'?

Hi Everyone,

My friend and I didn't do so bad on air for our first night dive...I think our computers said...96minutes downtime with about 900 PSI left in our tanks...

Out of curiosity what was your average depth and what size cylinders were you using that allowed you to get 96 minutes of bottom time with 900 PSI left?

Lobster Hunting?! Tanks?! Opening Night?! Please tell me it's not true!!!

WOW!!! 96min & 900 left in the bottle.... How deep 20'?

I think the deepest we hit was around 39' briefly...mostly in he 25'-30' depth...I wish I would have known what Regal lobsters were...I thought I was seeing small slipper lobster...so I just played with them and moved on...

sorry...I double checked with my friends Cobra...and he said it read 96minutes with 400psi left...not 900psi. We were using aluminum 80's rented at Ocean Concepts...probably started with around ~3200psi or so...which is what I see typically prior to a dive. The 96minutes also included swimming back underwater...which was fairly shallow...For us newbies, it was a new record...

When we regrouped...and looked in each others bags (mine was empty)...I found 6 "Regal" lobster in a friends bag...oh well...live and learn...I had fun playing with them.

I think we may try a late afternoon/early night dive soon around Shark's Cove/3 Tables...that will be fun!

night ornate and hawaiian octopus and 11 spanish dancers is what i saw last night dive pupukea side

octo and dancer are video here
YouTube - honuheiau's Channel

a hui ho

kimo

I'd like to get into taking pictures and videos soon...I don't know how you folks do it though...my BC is so full of gadgets already without having to worry about a camera...eh, after more dives...I should be good to go...I'm slowly getting everything positioned and comfortable on my BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom