Phentermne and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjfeaf

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
[WIKI][/WIKI]Greetings,
I am interested in lerning to dive with my son while we attend Boy Scout Camp this summer. I take phentermine for weight loss, ( I have been successful) and to raise dopamine levels. I have been on the medicine for three months and I tolerate it quite well. The medicine along with a proper diet and daily exercise has left me feeling stronger and more fit than I have in years. My doctor says I will be on this med at some dosage for the rest of my life. I have been researching on internet to see if there are any problems that taking this med would cause if I were to take a scuba diving course this summer. If anyone has any information they can share I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

Phentermine acts via sympathomimetic means. As such, you should be aware of the constellation of side effects of the drug (dry mouth, fatigue, dizziness, headache, nausea, etc.). You should be aware that some of these side effects overlap with symptoms of decompression illness and/or seasickness.

It's good that you are tolerating the drug well and that it seems to be supporting your weight loss efforts. It would be wise to discuss with your doctor your interest in getting scuba certified. My main concern would be your overall cardiovascular fitness. If you are aerobically fit and comfortable in the water, you will probably be able to obtain medical clearance to dive.

AFAIK, there have not been any studies on how phentermine specifically affects a patient under hyperbaric conditions. Are there active divers out there who are taking phentermine regularly? I don't know. I am aware of one accident (reported in the 2006 Annual Diving Report of the Divers Alert Network) involving a 48 year old, newly-certified female diver who was taking phentermine and fenfluramine for weight control. The incident occurred on a shallow (15 fsw) solo dive during which the victim did not wear a BCD (highly unusual if you ask me). Apparently the victim was collecting sea shells. Cause of death was reported as "drowning due to air embolism." It's pretty clear that her meds didn't play a role in the accident.

One more caveat...
Since, to a certain extent, decompression algorithms have been constructed based on studies of young, healthy, fit military personnel and your physical conditioning/body type probably isn't very similar to theirs, it would be prudent for you to dive as conservatively as possible.

I attended Camp Cherry Valley Boy Scout Camp (Catalina Island) many years ago and have great memories of my time there. If I had known how much fun diving is (and in particular how good the diving is at Two Harbors), I would have gotten certified that summer. I did the mile swim there. I also recall having to sing in the mess hall as punishment for wearing my hat inside. :D

I hope that you find this info helpful. Have a great time at summer camp!

We are going to camp Emerald Bay. We were there two years ago and had the opportunity to go snorkling. It was amazing. BSA has added the suba diving merit badge this year and some of my scouts are interested in earning, it including my son.
Thank you for your reply and the information, it helped.

I suspect that the scuba training will take place with the dive op at Two Harbors. The people who run the place are top-notch. Their boat, the Garibaldi, is very easy to dive off of. I've had several excellent dives at Bird Rock, Ship Rock, and from the Two Harbor shore. I recall seeing lots of angel sharks on the sandy bottom of the harbor area at night. Take care...

Were you just on phentermine or did you take fenfluramine in the past. I think fenfluramine was associated with heart problems right? (IANAD)

Just Phentermine. It is a well tolerated medication that for me deals with the compulsions of eating in regards to the dopamine receptors in the brain. For most people it is only effective for about two to three months as strictly a diet medication. For me all the compulsions surrounding food are gone. I know when I'm hungry, I'm just in control. I eat 1500 calories a day and work out at the gym for an hour each day at 5:00 am and hardly notice the medication any more. I appreciate the postings and the information everyone is sharing.
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom