PFO Diagnosis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Vie,

The "bubble part" in TCD, TEE and TTE procedures most typically involves injection of an agitated saline solution into a superficial vein in the upper forearm. The solution is "agitated" by flushing it from one syringe to another, thereby producing small air bubbles. These bubbles serve to reflect the ultrasound waves and result in a more detailed picture.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hi Rakkis,

rakkis:
If I had my way, I would do a full body MRI :D

It would be interesting to see if I have a PFO. If I did, I would probably dive more conservatively.

In order to get any meaningful information about a possible PFO, you'd need to undergo a multiple-sequence MRI procedure with contrast agent.

Regards,

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:

Yes, Doc, thank you!

Hi Rakkis,

rakkis:
Indiana too please! :)

Contact Margie Bryan (mbryan@thecaregroup.com) of The Care Group, LLC (8333 Naab Road, Suite 400 Indianapolis, IN 46260). She'll be able to direct you.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hi Adjuster-jd,

adjuster-jd:
Anyone know of any facilities in Ohio offering the TCD testing?
Sounds like this is the way to go.

Where, specifically, are you located?

Regards,

DocVikingo

limeyx:
You had TCD or TEE? presumably you are clear?

Yes, negative by pmTCD.

But PFOs can be missed (false negative) and change or open as you age. Its not a green light to blow off deco, but reasonable to conclude I don't have any rediculously obvious shunts, cardiac or pulmonary.

Hemlon:
Why are migraines associated with PFO?

I'm curious about this as well. Maybe it has to do with the fact that having a hole between the pressure side and return side of your pump makes it not pump so well. Less oxygen to the brain = headache. But I'm a simpleton. Lets hear what the Doc has to say on the matter.

-Ben

airsix:
I'm curious about this as well. Maybe it has to do with the fact that having a hole between the pressure side and return side of your pump makes it not pump so well. Less oxygen to the brain = headache. But I'm a simpleton. Lets hear what the Doc has to say on the matter.

-Ben

Migraines are caused my vasodilatation.

limeyx:
for recreational diving, I think unless you really think you have a PFO, a test is not necessary.

Once you start doing more aggressive dives, it seems more prudent (I am still figuring out what to do)

It is a big decision. One of the questions is what an "aggressive" dive is in the context of the medical decision.

I recall at the time I was making my decision discussing the matter with Dr. Campbell(scubadoc) as well as the docs on my medical staff. We finally concluded that lacking some symptomatic indication it just wasn't worth the risk. Especially considering what was involved in the repair surgery.

After all the real question isn't whether to be tested, although that is a significant decision, it is what are you going to do if one is discovered; especially if it is a very small one.

One of the real problems in these kinds of decisions is the lack of data. DCS itself is pretty rare. So, we are really working in the world of personal comfort. No universally correct decision.

Back
Top Bottom