Petrel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a 50 someting 5'2 female - Mares Quattro - but I know you really mean this as a rhetorical question.

Thanks for the recommendation.

My opinion is flexible fins are better for some divers. Low leg strength, physically small, light people, warm water rec divers who dive single tank. Split fins started a trend of more flexible fins designs. Hinges, softer center sections, etc..

Similar way of thinking is recommending a recreational only computer like the Zoop, to recreational only divers.

Last edited:
I whole heartedly disagree. If she's that small she has small feet, the Hog Tech 2 fins are actually very easy to kick around with because they aren't very stiff and in the small sizes aren't very big, but are a vastly superior fin design to the split fins. You want the easiest way to kick, learn to frog kick, you are using smaller muscle groups which require less exertion, and you don't go way out of trim when you aren't kicking fast....

These are all under $100, don't require much effort to kick around, and the hog tech 2's come with spring straps so that's a good thing.
Transcend Fin - Dive Right in Scuba
Oceanic Viper Fin USA Series | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
HOG Tech 2 Fin - Dive Right in Scuba

regarding computers.

Zoop is $200 at Leisure Pro. My only issue with the thing is it doesn't have gauge mode, which in my opinion makes it mostly useless.
Cressi Leonardo Wrist Computer with PC Download
Extra $60 gets you gauge mode and computer download, good.

Mares Puck Wrist Computer 414117
cheaper and gets you gauge mode

The MSRP is $300 which is what most people will pay for it. At that point, the Geo 2.0 is genuinely worth the extra $100 for smaller form factor for travel which is what most people are doing, has multiple gasses which makes multiple dives/day more convenient if you have different gasses, has gauge mode. etc etc.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/zeagle-n2ition-3-gas-dive-computer
and there is still this, which is cheaper and better in all aspects. Multi gas, digital compass, etc and is $170. It's only available for a limited time, but good lord is it a good deal....

Probably best to bring fin discussions to that section. I'll start a new thread over there.

Nice to have options in computers. I have no idea if my Gekko or Cobra have gauge mode. Never had a need for it.

That Zeagle looks like a really good deal. However, I can see some people not being comfortable buying a discontinued computer being sold only from 1 store. How long ago did Zeagle stop selling it ?

Rec divers use gauge mode all the time...you know...all those times they use tables after OW class.

When I wanted gauge mode for ANDP....I bought a used Vytec DS for $50 from someone who was switching to RB only. Thanks Petrel!

It wouldn't have been saving money buying what was a much more expensive computer at the time.

I get what you are saying about the additional feature being available on other similar priced computers...however it still doesn't matter for 99% of divers will never use that feature, so why you weight it so highly for recreational divers is baffling.

Still use the rec computers all the time. Far more often than the gauge mode. Twice so far this week, twice tomorrow. No regrets with that purchase.

so my point is why not buy that computer first and save yourself the money in the first place?

In his case true, but everyone starts as a rec diver and most remain rec divers.

What do you estimate the % of all divers in the world are tec ?

A very small percentage of divers use guage mode. I think manufacturers just add it to make thier list of features longer. Think it rarely weighs in rec divers decision making process.

Don't think it's a good idea to suggest a discontinued computer without a manual to new divers either.

I'm sure someone will diagree with me. But I'm disagreeing with them first....:D

If one were to judge by reading SB, where the expectation seems to run rampant that one is not going to spend his entire diving career watching the pretty fishes on a shallow coral reef, one would think gauge mode is a big deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom