Petrel upgrades?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If Shearwater made this a firmware upgrade option, the tech and CC people can simply not buy it the same way they probably didn't buy the recreational Nitrox upgrade. HOLY CRAP!!!

I love dive snobs...

Not being a snob,... but just clarifying something here. The recreational Nitrox upgrade IS NOT an option that the owners of such computers "buy". It was a free upgrade for older models & is incorporated into units currently sold. Unless I am mistaken, the only upgrade (unlock), that I am aware of, available for purchase on the units, is the VPM algorithm. Shearwater has been wonderful keeping most of the the upgrades accessible to those who own their products, free of charge.

Along those lines, can we have one with a brain implant that tells me when to breath. I get confused with the in bit and the out bit, and a computer driven brain stimulator might help me here. I am so hoping I will never ever have to think about how to dive or anything associated with good diving skills, with this and a few 100 more upgrades. :D

OR

????????

The recreational Nitrox upgrade IS NOT an option that the owners of such computers "buy". It was a free upgrade for older models & is incorporated into units currently sold. Unless I am mistaken, the only upgrade (unlock), that I am aware of, available for purchase on the units, is the VPM algorithm.

You're right. That's my mistake. I must have been narc'ed when I was writing that. :wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Henry Ford once said people could have a car any color they wanted as long as it was black.

Along those lines, can we have one with a brain implant that tells me when to breath. I get confused with the in bit and the out bit, and a computer driven brain stimulator might help me here. I am so hoping I will never ever have to think about how to dive or anything associated with good diving skills, with this and a few 100 more upgrades. :D

OR

????????

Given the difficulty some divers have in thinking, I'm not sure a brain implant would be obvious enough. I feel like BREATHE IN/BREATHE OUT alerts are sufficiently important to require both a flashing visual cue and an audible alarm just like the one on the DiverGuard.

To the guy whose SB name suggests he has daddy issues: a firmware update won't create AI on a Petrel, so correcting your hilarious misunderstanding of how BT and water interact isn't particularly important. I'd love to hear from SW as to whether they think rec divers are becoming their main consumer demographic though, because I seriously doubt it.

Last edited:
Given the difficulty some divers have in thinking, I'm not sure a brain implant would be sufficiently obvious enough. I feel like BREATHE IN/BREATHE OUT alerts are sufficiently important to require both a flashing visual cue and an audible alarm just like the one on the DiverGuard.

To the guy whose SB name suggests he has daddy issues: a firmware update won't create AI on a Petrel, so correcting your hilarious misunderstanding of how BT and water interact isn't particularly important. I'd love to hear from SW as to whether they think rec divers are becoming their main consumer demographic though, because I seriously doubt it.

To the guy whose SB name suggests he idolizes cannibalistic psychopath PhDs: I have no problem admitting I'm not a tech guy. I'm operating on limited knowledge and assumptions. My assumption is, if the Petrel can talk to a PC via BT, then could it not [theoretically] talk to a BT air-transmitter? I get that right now there's no such thing as a BT transmitter. Not long ago there was no such thing as wireless transmitters either... yet here they are now. If the technology [used in the Petrel] isn't powerful enough to/capable of transmitting through water in any way whatsoever, then fine. This conversation need not go any further. If you're a subject matter expert on BT technology and can say with absolute authority that it's not possible I don't have much choice but to accept that since it's not my area of expertise.

If, assuming the BT could communicate underwater, the hardware is in the computer, why wouldn't a software (firmware?) upgrade be enough to make it happen?

On a side note, condescending remarks like yours are pretty much why a lot of divers I know steer clear of this forum all together. I'm not sure how or why you think they're contributing to the conversation. I'

Bottom line is that the Petrel is manufactured and marketed to technical divers and recreational divers who are transitioning to technical diving. Air integration has no place in technical diving so it is likely not on Shearwater's radar. There are any number of dive computers that offer that feature. No one is intentionally being condescending...it is simply that safe diving practices dictate that gas management is part of an overall dive plan and should not include reliance on a piece of equipment that introduces a failure point without offering any significant advantage over an SPG.

I'm curious if anyone is willing to illuminate why this subject stirs such passion. People can be stupid, but wireless AI does not appear to be inherently so.

I don't know of anyone who uses an air integrated computer to tell them when to breathe, so I'm really not sure where those remarks are coming from.

I'm curious if anyone is willing to illuminate why this subject stirs such passion. People can be stupid, but wireless AI does not appear to be inherently so.

I don't know of anyone who uses an air integrated computer to tell them when to breathe, so I'm really not sure where those remarks are coming from.

The biggest fear in life support systems e.g scuba, is failure points and A.I. introduces a failure point and does not offer any real advantage over an SPG. In over 40 years of diving I can't remember one SPG failure (and yes I dove J-valves before SPG's) but I have seen AI transmitters crap out a whole bunch of times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom