Petrel average depth calculation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A little data crunching:

PDC: average depth reported: 61'
Desktop: average depth reported: 59.3'
Xcel: (1) average function applied to all depth data: 59.344'
(2) average function omitting zero values at end: 60.475'
(3) average function omitting first value and zero values at end: 60.528'

Hi rhwestfall, I came to the same conclusion. In my opinion, there is an error in the desktop programme: In the settings menu of the DC, you can enter an "end of dive delay". After this delay on the surface, the DC will start a new dive. In the desktop programme however, this delay is taken into account when calculating avg depth. As this delay is per definition at 0m depth, you will get a shallower average from the desktop programme. The average, shown on the DC is the correct one (i.e. without the end of dive delay). Yesterday, I emailed Shearwater about this bug, and I'm waiting for their reaction... if any...

Michael

Hi rhwestfall, I came to the same conclusion. In my opinion, there is an error in the desktop programme: In the settings menu of the DC, you can enter an "end of dive delay". After this delay on the surface, the DC will start a new dive. In the desktop programme however, this delay is taken into account when calculating avg depth. As this delay is per definition at 0m depth, you will get a shallower average from the desktop programme. The average, shown on the DC is the correct one (i.e. without the end of dive delay). Yesterday, I emailed Shearwater about this bug, and I'm waiting for their reaction... if any...

Michael

Two days after my email to Shearwater, I already got an answer. They confirmed that there is indeed a bug in the desktop software, but that the average depth on the petrel is the correct one. They will correct this in the next software update.

I think that this is top service, and they showed that they are really concerned about their products and their customers!

During a dive, if you run the Dive Planner in the Dive Setup menu, you will see a list of all future stops based on the current conditions.

I find that having a look at this is a great way to pass the time while hanging. It's bit like scrolling through the future turns on your GPS so you kinda know what's coming...

I find that having a look at this is a great way to pass the time while hanging. It's bit like scrolling through the future turns on your GPS so you kinda know what's coming...

I like watching that and the tissue graph while hanging. I find it intriguing, even though it's a hypothetical, that I can see what's going on inside my body.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom