Petrel 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buy a cheap computer(with nitrox and gauge mode) on line(Black Friday sale) FIRST. Buy two if you can afford them.
And if you are following GUE/UTD route in the future, computer is NOT part of their training.

Computer is NOT absolutely necessary for technical diving.

I now have 30 dives and originally bought a Zoop and will be buying my Christmas Petrel 2 this Saturday. I am very similar to you Blower and if you have the money get the Petrel 2. I saved enough money on my reg set to easily pay for the Petrel 2. Hog Classic regs and they are currently Black Friday priced at like $75 each. PM me if you want.

Leisurepro has Mares Puck Pro(nitrox, depth gauge, two mixes etc etc.) for only US$170.00. Call them ahead and might receive further discount!!!!

Yeah from what I can tell that should standard practice with all dive computers. I believe there's a post going on right now kind of talking about that. I have noticed Shearwater has several videos and a lot of information out there. Sounds like some people think its to much computer than a beginner needs and some think it is no problem.

This is a very good point. The Petral, unlike most recreational computers, will happily let you maim yourself. It doesn't have horns and bells and whistles that will warn you if you are violating deco, or ascending too fast or if you set the GF at a risky level. The folks at Shearwater targetted their machines at people who know what they're doing...

Having said that, it's a fantastic bit of gear and when used properly, it's fantastic. Even from a cost perspective, it will outlast the $250 jobs and hold it's resale value when you decide to upgrade to the Petral 3.

So as others have said, make certain you read and understand what your doing. The rec mode takes a lot of the guesswork out of it, but there's still room to hurt yourself.

I now have 30 dives and originally bought a Zoop and will be buying my Christmas Petrel 2 this Saturday. I am very similar to you Blower and if you have the money get the Petrel 2. I saved enough money on my reg set to easily pay for the Petrel 2. Hog Classic regs and they are currently Black Friday priced at like $75 each. PM me if you want.
Don't the classics already sell for that price?

No, just a couple months ago they were $119 a piece. Still a steal at that price.

Many, many people start diving and stop after only a few dives. I would not buy anything very expensive till you are certain you are going to keep diving and also go onto tech diving. In any case, as others have pointed out, you really should not be going tech diving till you have a lot of experience (in my view well over 100 dives at the very minimum). At the average rate most divers rack up dives, this would be three or four years, so you would probably be able to get an even better version of the Petrel at probably a cheaper price. Any computer you buy now will not be wasted, they are very handy as a backup, especially on a dive holiday.

I am not one to quit. I tell myself I am going to do something and I do it. I wanted to fight pro mixed martial arts and I did. I wanted to win titles in brazilian jiu jitsu and I did. I wanted to become an engineer after dropping out of high school and I did. I wanted to dive since I was a child and when I did my instructor said I was one of the calmest and most prepared students he ever had. I am no where close to most people.

---------- Post added November 27th, 2015 at 05:13 AM ----------

Besides that I know guys doing 100 dives a year and i have set that goal for myself next year. I already have 50 pre-paid air fills waiting for the season to start. Having 3 quarries near by, living in nc with the dive charters here and myrtle beach, and florida a hot skip and a jump away. I think I can get close to that goal.

---------- Post added November 27th, 2015 at 05:18 AM ----------

No, just a couple months ago they were $119 a piece. Still a steal at that price.
My mistake after doing some more research I see I was wrong. Is that the second stage only? Only making the offer today?

I've had two computers in my diving career: #1: Mares Nemo Wide; #2: Petrel (1st gen; no compass).
Price:
Mares: ~$450, but had to pay another $100 for a cable so I could download my dives to my computer dive log
Petrel: ~$900, no additional cost -- wireless download included (I think Petrels go for around $750 now)

Visibility:
Mares: large but low contrast LCD screen, multi-segment display, information not clearly labeled, dim green temporary backlighting available; I have to peer at the display to see it, and it's not easy to decipher the individual pieces of information
Petrel: large bright LED pixel display, multicolor, well organized; I can glance at my wrist and immediately get the important information

User interface:
Mares: 4 button; I've had the thing for four years, and yes, I can use it, but it feels awkward
Petrel: 2 button: left button moves through options, right button selects. It's always going to be a bit awkward inputting information with only 2 buttons, but I find the Petrel intuitive and relatively easy to use.

Power:
Mares: 'button' battery, available at Walgreens (I'm sure any other place that stocks hearing aid batteries will have it). Change it maybe once/year. (diving ~6 days/month, 2 dives/day)
Petrel: standard AA battery; change it maybe once a month (same dive frequency)

For me the Petrel is one of my favorite pieces of dive gear. The ability to glance at the screen in just about any lighting conditions and see all the info I need almost instantly is it's number one advantage. I do cave dive, but thus far have never used more than 2 gas mixes, nor have I fiddled with the deco model settings, leaving them on the (relatively) conservative defaults. While the computer has lots of things you can change, including things like adding a gas mix mid-dive, these aren't things that you'd accidentally do. In tech mode it does assume you have some knowledge of what you're doing and won't enforce things like safety stops or missed deco stops, but you can put it in rec mode with a few button presses where far fewer options are available and it will enforce more safety factors.

Also had two computers: 1) Suunto D4i and 2) Petrel 1. Love the Petrel, hate the Suunto.Should have bought the Petrel right away. Th eSuunto was a waist of money to me. Should it ever break I will get a new Petrel instantly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom